Basic editor experience. Help needed!

Hello, community!

We are preparing a new iteration of UX improvements. This time, we really want to enhance the basic editor experience. If you could share the problems you face with the current experience, one by one, it would help immensely!

To be clear, it’ll take place after the rework of sets and collections.

Thank you!

19 Likes

Hello Anton,

the first thing is to reduce the friction while filling in forms with some relations.
There is always “need” to switch between keyboard and mouse that hinders a fluid work experience.

The cursor should jump from one Relation’s input field to the next if the input is finished by the Enter key.
Also the cursor up and down keys should make the cursor jump to the previous or next Relation’s input field.

I’ve already made a FR for that:

8 Likes

Second:
Inserting a Relation in the editor has too much friction.

Also for that I’ve already made a FR:

But as you see in the linked FR, it does not only affect the way how to insert a Relation in the editor.
Also all the other things we can add by using the “/” command are goofy and not intuitive and/or fast to use.

The key commands in the lookup table need a lot of polishing for a seamless working experience. See the FR!

4 Likes

Third:
If you want to shorten the learning curve for newbies, don’t make all the control elements invisible!

It has cost me three days to work out how to use the editor’s most basic features!

You can dimm the controls (gripper etc.) down, but up again while moving the mouse.
But never make them completely invisible.

• But be aware that they not appear in the printout if they aren’t invisible anymore!

Also the controls for inline Sets or Collections: Never make them completely invisible!

For us “old Profis” it’s not a big deal - we know how to use it all.
But a newbie who’s testing Anytype it’s frustration if he thinks he can do nearly nothing in the seemingly spartanic editor simply because he can’t see all the control elements.

Edit:

You wished the suggestions one by one.
But unfortunately the forum has a limitation, I couldn’t write a fourth post in a row.
Now I must wait for someone elses post before I can write the next one … :frowning:

4 Likes

Also sharing my challenges one by one :slight_smile:

1. Apply style changes before typing (eg. CTRL+I, then type; instead of currently type, then select, then CTRL+I)
13 Likes
  1. Ability to delete a file from my space (not just remove from the canvas) directly from the editor. One way of implementing this could be:
  • rename the current “delete” option to “remove from object”
  • add a new option to “delete file”
  • if selecting “delete file” and the file is used in other objects that the one being edited, show a warning modal “this file is used in multiple objects. Are you sure you want to delete from across your space?” or something like that
8 Likes
  1. I don’t know if this is an editor or sets/collections issue, but putting it here just in case: At the moment, building good dashboards is not possible because each inline set and collection is displayed with their original title and all the other stuff.

I think this would be solved the ability to embed view (for sets or collection) without displaying title, settings, etc.

8 Likes

My fourth:

It seems to be the opposite from my last post, but the always visible navigation panel on the bottom sucks.
(Not so much in the editor, but especially in the Graph.)

The navigation bar should vanish like the side panel, but reappear when the mouse moves to the bottom.

I recommend to apply a switches or other controls into the configuration so that each user can configure his preferred behavior of things like this, or like that what I wrote in my last post (about the invisible grippers etc.)

4 Likes

My fifth:

Right click …

A right click in the editor mostly does nothing.
– Mostly …

But sometimes things happen. I already wrote a BR because of this:

In general, I am of the opinion that the right mouse key should always do something!
There should appear a context menu that makes sense in the given situation.

If the cursor stands somewhere in a line (nothing is selected/highlighted), the right mousekey context menu should offer to paste the clipboard for example. Or to insert a Relation, Simple Table, Embed, etc.

3 Likes

My sixth: Tooltips.

Not relevant for us old Profis, but very relevant for newbies:
Put much more effort into all the tool-tips!

Each control element should have a good tool-tip which shows up while the mouse hovers above it.

And the text in the tool-tips should be long and clear enough so that a newbie really understands what’ll going on if he clicks on a control or moves a Gripper etc.

Especially the Gripper need the explanation that it is possible to put Blocks side by side by using it.
(I didn’t figure it out by myself in my first three days, but then I saw it in a video …)

And again: Put a switch in the settings so that an experienced user can switch the tool-tips off when he’s familiar with the way how to use the App.

Btw.:
In my own programs I implemented a better thing than tool-tips on the mouse pointers position:

I’ve spend one or two lines on the page’s bottom for the tool-tips texts. So they never overlap things in the GUI. And the mentioned lines disappear while the mouse stands still for two seconds.
In Anytype’s case there is one line space below the navigation panel that could be used for that.

3 Likes

Hi @anton ,
Good news!

I saw on the roadmap “Relations UX Improvements” planned for this quarter, is it something else? Or include in yours? Because I can understand the UX, but I couldn’t figure out what was included…

Oh… so end of years or later?
:pensive:

2 Likes

My seventh and most important suggestion.

• It has not exclusively to do with the UX, but it drives me crazy while designing a Page’s layout in the editor:

Relations and their layout proportions!

See for yourself:

1. Create some text Relations with different long names, from very short to relative long:
    "the quick brown fox jumps over: ".

2. Put the Relations on the editor’s Canvas, as well as a date Relation.

3. Then fill the Relations input fields and also pick a date.

4. See what happens!

5. Now print the Page and see again what you get!

– What you’ll see after printing: The layout on paper differs from what you see in the editor! That’s not WYSIWYG.

And what you’ll see even before you print it: there is a stiff layout for the Relations. Sometimes there would be more than enough space available for showing the Relation’s name and it’s content, but the space is not good used; long names become clipped.

The effect becomes even much more pregnant if you put two, three or even four Relations side by side in a line.

Again, there is enough space, but the Relations proportion hinders to use the space!

What I suggest:

1. Give us a slider between the Relation’s name and content, so that we can slide the two fields (name & content) as big or small as needed!
    (Same way as with the Simple Table.)

2. Make sure that the print result is 1 to 1 the same as we see in the editor!
    – No line breaks on unexpected positions; no clipped texts; no unexpected stretched tables!

For uses in business we need to design forms and it is important that the prints look exactly the same as we’ve designed them on the screen!

Maybe this post seems to be more a FR (I’ve already made one!) as a suggestion about the UX. But it has strongly to do with the UX, because it needs ENDLESS hours of try and error to get things in the layout finally half way so placed that one could live with the print result.

In my own case I was even forced to abandon a lot of Relations and create new ones, simply because their names was a bit too long and became clipped!

• (Again: although there was enough free space, but the stiff Relation’s proportion has always it’s own mind …)
2 Likes

My eighth suggestion: Ctrl + a

1. Pressing Ctrl + a one time selects the whole line.
    → good.

2. Pressing this combination a second time selects all Page’s content, including the Page’s Header (title, description, Object type, and whatever there is in the header’s section).
    → not so good.
    Please let out the header!

3. Pressing the combination a third time should select all, including the header.

In case the cursor stands in a Simple Tables cell, repeated pressing Ctrl + a should select:

1. The cells content.
  2. The table’s row.
  3. The whole table
  4. All Page’s content without the header.
  5. The whole Page, including it’s header.

OneNote works this way. And it is really practical.

2 Likes

My ninth suggestion:
No longer a mouse’s action needed after creating a Page.

See what happens:

1. Goto a Collection and create a new Page.
  2. Open the Page (why does it need a mouse click?)

→ The cursor is now nowhere in the opened Page. You can’t directly write.
It’s also impossible to insert a new (first) line by using the cursor down key.

You must use the mouse before you can write!

• Why is it so?

Perfect would it be this way:

After finishing the Page’s name in the Collection’s grid by pressing Enter, the page should automatically open. AND the cursor should stay in a first empty line, ready for your input!

• No need for using the mouse at all!

At the moment, we need to use the mouse two times, unnecessarily.
Please remove the unnecessary need for any mouse actions!

1 Like

Why can’t you copy the image, it’s killing me, now if I want to use the illustration inside the note, I have to download the image and then go to the download file to find it

11 Likes

About tables

1. why is it not allowed to add multiple lines of text and images to a table?
  2. why is the maximum width of a cell limited?
  3. Why can’t a table be made to adapt to the width of the page proportionally?
6 Likes

Simply press Shift + Enter.

My tenth suggestion:

It’s related to @sanming’s post Nr. 15:
If there is a weblink pasted as bookmark in the editor, it it impossible to copy it’s URL without opening the Bookmark in the browser first.

I often want to share a Bookmark’s URL per Telegram or Email, so I need to copy the URL.
It sucks that a right click doesn’t offer the option to copy the URL.

2 Likes

ANYTYPE gives me the feeling that I’m not using software every day, I’m solving crimes!

@sanming This has nothing to do with Anytype.
The key combination Shift + Enter is universal in Windows.
It’s a so called “soft break”.