Allow using spaces in object name during linking with @

WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND

Currently when I try to link an object with @, I can’t use spaces in the search string. When I hit space the search window closes.
I would like to be able to write spaces in the name.

HOW COULD IT BE DONE

Don’t close the search window on space press.

REAL WORLD USE CASES

I have many objects with the similar name like “How to …” and it’s very complicated for me link them with @ because I could only type “How” and have to scroll huge list of objects to find what I need which takes a lot of time.

RECOMMENDED ALTERNATIVES

Search object manually by scrolling the list of options.

ADDITIONAL CONTEXT

I think it would be enough to close the search window by pressing either ESC or Enter keys.

7 Likes

Great one :sunglasses:

This was touched on before, but was thought to be a bug until confirmed otherwise by a dev: Spaces after "@" when creating new objects

A similar issue is discussed here: New update is broken or feature removed - creating new note in a note using @

To consolidate the topics a bit, I will add here @sambouwer’s suggestions:

Thanks for making it a request @dzshch :pray:

4 Likes

Just to add to what @sambouwer is describing in the linked post above, in Tana it works pretty much like how they described it.
The mention dialogue only goes away if you choose a node, create a new node or press Esc. Clicking Ctrl + Enter while in the dialogue chooses the top option, so you’re able to continue writing easily.

2 Likes

WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND

I find myself creating a lot of new objects within an existing text using @, and it’s almost always a pain if more than a single word is needed for the title.

HOW COULD IT BE DONE

Mouse-using users could simply select the text and pick from the menu “create new object from selected text”. Keyboard users could create a link between two @ signs (like * works for bold and hyphen).

It can also be done that selecting text afte a @ will bring an overlay offering to create an object from it, or that simpily the drop-down menu when pasting after a @ will have the option to create an object at the top rather than the very bottom.

REAL WORLD USE CASES

When editing an existing text I often want to create new objects that stem from it or relate to it, but still don’t have an existing object. Say, I copied into Anytype a long text about medical condition X, which is related to condition Y. Condition Y doesn’t have a page yet, so I want to create the page and have them linked. Given that most have more than one word in them, it’s a constant issue.

RECOMMENDED ALTERNATIVES

Presently, when I type @ it opens a drop-down with all objects I have (files first, latest added first). I need to start to type, and only then I get the option to create a new object, but the title is limited to a single word. So sometimes I find myself typing and hyphenating to get a multi-word title, then open it, correct it, and go back.

The alternative route I take is to select the title of the new object in the text I’m editing, cut it, write @ and then paste. This opens a drop-down of existing objects where I need to scroll down all the way to the bottom to create a new object.

My input was moved here, though it only overlaps in part. Sure, I also noted how a space breaks the creation of a new object when using @, but that’s not actually what I wanted to request.

To reiterate in brief, I want to be able to select existing text and turn in into the title of a new object, either by keyboard (with two @@ signs at the ends) or from the mouse menu that opens upon selection.

1 Like

Do you mind creating a new FR with only this part in mind? The rest of it seems to be related mostly to this issue, hence the merge.

I wasn’t responsible for the merge. But now that it was done, I hope having several related issues lumped together will help increase the vote count, nudging dev to prioritize.

This topic is only about removing the one word limit when using @. The two other things you mentioned (creating new objects with the mouse, and with the @ symbols on each end) will need another FR if you want them to be implemented.

I’m not encouraged to propose features if those suggestions are then arbitrarily moved around resulting in making me work twice. I guess it’s a cultural thing.

I would too love to see this feature (implemented) or bug (fixed).

I would love to see this feature implemented soon. I’m affected by this missing feature multiple times every day.
CleanShot 2023-08-15 at 11.00.51

4 Likes

WHAT IS THE BUG
Example: A file is called “Lorem Ipsum”, if I try to link it using @, I type it until reaching @Lorem, if I press the space button to add “Ipsum”, the suggestion box closes.

HOW TO REPRODUCE IT

1. Try to mention a file with its name longer than a one word
  2. The first word will be typed normally, the second one closes the suggestion box

ADDITIONAL CONTEXT
It happens with mentioning already existing files or trying to create new files

SYSTEM INFORMATION

• Device:
    PC / Laptop

Windows 10 / Ubuntu 22.04

• Anytype Version:
    v.0.36.0

• Technical Information:
    Device: DESKTOP-8VFVMAU
    OS version: win32 x64 10.0.19045
    App version: 0.36.0
    Build number: build on 2023-11-20 20:38:18 +0000 UTC from at #df0868e687be6aa9ffd9d3f5bf4c550ab6e43d5a(v0.29.16)
    Library version: v0.29.16
    Account ID: A8DMi22aG2JeS6SqxmXaBUJ6e8wMUq18HuXkXtKHNg1GaCcd
    Analytics ID: db3c2a07-1014-46a9-93a4-738acd080829
    Device ID: A8mVmDNRe13uNRry88NDYhb5vTqEp7eYGczi8uXaszpG86th

Yeah this is basically this other post

Allow using spaces in object name during linking with @

I also find it really annoying

2 Likes

I didn’t expect it to be a feature request, didn’t search there to be honest :confused:

1 Like

To be honest it could be considered a bug, because “@” is kind of a shortcut for the linking option with “/”. So I agree with you :joy:

1 Like

YES!!! I find this annoying as well. Usually I don’t create a new object with just a single-word title. Not to mention, when there are lots of objects created in my Space, it’s hard to find the one (or create one) I need if I can only type ONE word after @.

Add in to this use of ‘@’ behavior:
CURRENT BEHAVIOR: Press @ → Use mouse OR press down-arrow ↓ to choose an object from the list.
EXPECTED: I want to use TAB key to choose the object in the list, then Enter to confirm it appear (or created) in my current object/block.
⇾ This will make the note typing flow quicker & smoother

1 Like

This is fixed for me now on Windows 10 and Ubuntu 22.04 @ v0.37.0.

3 Likes

Thank you for mentioning that it is fixed, @Hexara!
I’ve had already skipped to use the function, because it didn’t work in past.
It is good to learn, that it works now! Wouldn’t have noticed it by myself.

2 Likes

@Code-Jack You’re more than welcome :slight_smile: