Hello, I have got access to Anytype just yesterday and I will share my thoughts here first.
I am using Notion now so will be stealing features from there and comparing Anytype with it.
I have only used Anytype on Android so some stuff will be Android-specific.
- The app is really fast, both in online and offline mode.
- Offline mode the biggest reason I’d like to find alternative to Notion
- To be open-source
- Almost all the features of Notion I use are here
- The design is just great
- Hard to find some stuff, where to do what but I’ll get used to it I guess
- Hierarchical structure would be better for me but I’ll guess I can make that myself for now
- Databases - before move here from Notion I need some replacement for databases sets can only partially replace it.
- Custom types - I don’t know if it’s possible but I haven’t found it
- History of object
- Add Anytype to share menu, would be great if I could fill all the relations there (and database to put it into when it’s done)
Widgets for Android home screen specific object, recent, starred…
- Widgets for Anytype like Notion has
- Synced blocks
- Import from pdf, html, docx, txt…
- Export as pdf, html…
- Some features from Notion I don’t need and are missing here: breadcrumb, LaTeX, template button, audio files, columns
- Let me view set in another page. I use this to view Quick Notes view in one page and Notes in other. This way I don’t need to change view each time.
- I can’t add new line in text block. Enter creates new block.
- There should be some buttons when I display image - save, share, copy, maybe even crop
- When selecting objects, add button select all. For example I wanted to delete all the text as I have edited it somewhere else.
- Let me resize images.
- Let me view video in full screen
- Let me search languages in code snippet
- Making checkbox checked only slightly changes color and I think it is not noticable enough, maybe you could cross it out? (I’m on dark mode)
- Let block be toggleable and be heading or bullet block at the same time
- In the onboarding I’ve seen that you can see some info about syncing on desktop mode. Let me click on the little dot and open popup with the info
- When I have selected block add button Turn into so I can for example make heading out of a text
- Same as above but for multiple selected blocks
- Let me copy text from 2 blocks at once. When I select text from one block, I can’t get to the next one. (See, I have been writing this in Anytype and now I wanna copy it to the forums but can’t)
- Close page after it’s moved to bin. I won’t use it after I trash it.
- Let me select type of object for relation it doesn’t make sense for recipe to be asignee
- If I hold block and don’t move it, select it
- Let me change font - even if for whole page same
- Add three dots to bookmark for some options - edit url, edit what to show (url, title, text, img), maybe even change layout
- Notion let’s me scroll up above the title and there are buttons to add icon and cover. You can add it too.
- Notion uses Unsplash to search for more covers from the internet. You can add it too.
- I couldn’t find how to create set. There should be button in the set section or when creating new object there should be set as an option. I managed to do it after clicking on type of page, open set, create set
- Option to change type of object should be in the menu after clicking three dots in top right too.
- When relation is too long and display the relation inside the object, it doesn’t show it. I need to click it to see it all. Make it expand on click and collapse on click, remember it’s state.
- About the above - even better thing would be adding relation variables - like using $author inside the object
- Add an option to display relations like Notion does - display all of them right under the title, with extra row for creating new relation
- I can’t find a way to create those cards you use in Getting started page. The first card is link to “Add and style text blocks” page
- I don’t need back button at the bottom menu. Put undo and redo there.
- when Anytype is in popup or in split screen and I try to move text there on home screen it could create new note with that text. Now it does nothing.
- It’s impossible to mention object that doesn’t have name
- added video, reopened the page and the video was unplayable. All the controls were there, but it was black and I couldn’t play it. It remember the duration though. Reopening the app fixed it.
- In code snippet with python after typing print(“Hello World”) it picks the most terrible color and is unreadable (I’m on dark mode)
- Can’t display pdf in offline mode. Idk if this is bug or missing feature.
- Error while loading image - even in online mode for an image from your book example. When I open such broken image there’s just black screen. What’s worse is that I can do stuff on the black screen! When click see cursor and can write but still see black screen.
- I can’t paste test with new lines into Anytype as it ignores them.
- When I click the + in home and create object it doesn’t use template. When i’m in set and use + it uses template.
- I can’t select video, image bookmark. When I hold it it just let’s me move it and when I click it there’s some action. That means I can’t even delete it easily! I found workaround - I select any other block, then select the image, deselect the other block and I have just the image selected.
- when I use Anytype in popup or in split screen and try to move some text there this happens: I can hover on it and see places where I could place it like when moving blocks but when I drop it, the app crashes
Well, that was long. But this is all I thought of until now. Most of this stuff is low priority but it’s up to you to choose whato work on.
Anyway, I like Anytype really much and I’m looking forward for the future of it.