Larger proposal for discussion: multitasking

Is your feature request related to a problem? Please describe.
I have the same struggle when using Anytype as I had when I had to start using Microsoft Teams: I am limited to a single screen with only one Object open at a time.

Describe the solution you’d like
Let me start by listing and categorizing the feature requests that have been raised on this forum so far:

Describe alternatives you’ve considered
I think multiple solutions can exist next to each other/simultaneously. I think multiple instances/windows and tabs are straight forward, but for split or multiple panes/panels that make up the Anytype window requires some discussion. The main ideas that are suggested seem to be (order from low to high complexity/flexibility):

• Split pane for editing and preview. This is what Evernote, Bookstack, Discourse, and many other WYSIWYG-like and markdown editors support. You type on one side, you get a live preview on the other side.
    Configuration items that I can think of:
    • Live preview on/off
    • Panel size (drag the separator between editor and preview left and right)
  • Predefined panels for specific content/functionality. I think these three kinds of panels make sense:
    1. Navigation Panel (like the sidebar, search bar, graph)
    2. Metadata Panel (a bit like suggested here: a panel showing Relations of the opened Object)
    3. Content Panel (Canvas, Page, whatever we want to call it. The place where you add your block to fill Anytype with interesting stuff!)
      Configuration items that I can think of:
    • Toggle the pane on and off
    • Panel size (drag the separator between the panels left and right)
  • Full multi-panel framework: multiple panels - each fully featured, essentially acting as it’s own “application”, but all within a single application instance.
    Configuration items:
    • Resize and reposition panels (note I’m not talking about floating panels/windows - just multiple subdivisions of the main application window). Remnote has this feature.

Additional context
I would love to see the combination of all of these options to allow users to navigate Anytype however they feel comfortable.

5 Likes