Workspace Freeze When Opening Notes with Audio Recordings

What’s The Bug?

:lady_beetle: Bug Report Title:
Workspace Freeze When Opening Notes with Audio Recordings (Windows Desktop v0.47.3)

:counterclockwise_arrows_button: Reproducibility:
Consistently reproducible, including in newly created notes.

How To Reproduce It

:memo: Steps to Reproduce:
Open a note that contains one or more embedded audio recordings.

Observe: the workspace appears to load but becomes unresponsive.

Menu items are clickable but have no effect.

Creating a new note and adding an audio recording also triggers the freeze — audio may play for a few seconds before the interface locks up.

The Expected Behavior

:white_check_mark: Expected Behavior:
Notes with audio recordings should load normally. Playback should function directly within the note without freezing the interface, and users should be able to navigate freely.

:cross_mark: Actual Behavior:
Opening a note that contains audio recordings causes the entire workspace to freeze. Although the side menu appears interactive, it does not respond to selections. In some cases, playback begins but the app freezes shortly after.

Additional Context

:speech_balloon: Additional Context:
The issue appeared recently — audio playback was always stable before. Now, any note with audio content triggers this freeze. I rely on this feature for structured audio notes, so the bug impacts core usability.

Device

microsoft surface laptop 2

OS

win32 x64 10.0.22631

Anytype Version

0.47.3

Network Mode

anysync

Technical Information

Версия ОС: win32 x64 10.0.22631
Версия приложения: 0.47.3
Номер сборки: build on 2025-06-18 08:30:11 +0000 UTC at #b39bb4b9d12a28b91a1d02b74382113bcff3e017
Версия библиотеки: v0.41.1
Идентификатор Anytype: AAzBoHQbWQfwJePcixzC1JmAznnLmWqvCw5aDGRCj8X6eUma
ID аналитики: f8cdf7f2-f864-43cd-916c-03e35f2872e3
ID устройства: 12D3KooWKPN1iNgGacDQJ2JY62szr96KMLEvrZvfzXKA6tT75kR6
Адрес Ethereum: 0x96E29c9BCD08E83A4f09889F6858d9F962Ff2b51

This report has been added to our issue tracker and received by the Development Team.

This issue has been fixed by the Development Team and will be implemented in an upcoming release.

Hello, After updating to the latest version, the issue is still present.

I recorded a screen capture for you. As you can see, the issue manifests in different ways:

  • Sometimes, when opening a note with audio recordings, I can play a few of them before the interface freezes.
  • Other times, it freezes after playing the first recording.
  • Occasionally, the app freezes immediately upon opening the note, even if I don’t attempt playback.

All recordings are saved in MP3 format. I’d like to emphasize again that everything used to work flawlessly before.

Attached is a screencast titled: “Screencast of application interface freeze when working with notes containing audio.”

This issue has been fixed by the Development Team and will be implemented in an upcoming release.

Thanks for the update. The audio block issue has been fixed again recently and should be available in the next hotfix which we hope to release next week.

Hello, dear Filip, Thank you for your work.
I don’t know, weather hot fix 0.48.2 should fix this issue or not, but the problem is still here :handshake::blush:

Dear all,

I would like to let you know that I experience the same issue on my Surface Go tablet (Anytype version 0.48.2). I also use it on Linux on another Laptop (ROG Strix) and don’t have the issue. For now I will remove the audio files from Anytype and play them from somewhere else, but I’d be very happy to use them again directly from inside the notes in the future :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Thank you very much, please let me know if there is anything I can do to help !

Is the issue still there in 0.48.5? @Miguel.Vo @gradelerm

I tested it and at the moment the problem has not been reproduced. Everything seems to be fine, I hope it does not happen again. If anything happens, I will let you know. Thanks for the work.

So far it works like a charm, thank you so much ! :star_struck: