Toggles for Headers (collapsible)

I’m using VSCodium + Dendron for note-taking daily + some other plugins.

Need to check which plugin exactly or VSCodium itself allows this feature.

I use this a lot as I keep all my To Dos in one single .md file. Of course, in Anytype I can make page 100% width and re-arrange it all, but still, it’s a pretty useful feature.

@ichimga Agree, however I think it would be even better if any block could be toggled and its sub-blocks collapse then. Headers could have special behavior perhaps, where any sub-header blocks beneath get collapsed even if they are not explicit children. Fibery behaves that way. But in general I think “all blocks have toggle” is preferable, and brings some outliner functionality to Anytype without outliner limitations. See my similar feature request here:

https://community.anytype.io/t/-/1001

@endac Hey, this issue should be in Features / Desktop UI/UX. My bad I posted it wrongly. Could you please change that. Thank you!

@ichimga done!

Hi! I have a similar problem. Below is a demonstration.

https://clipchamp.com/watch/ntQnqQ01mth

I wonder if this is the right place to post this.

Thanks.

Thanks @Tamalika we are aware of this request. We want to give more flexibility to users overall. It definitely will be the part of it. I increased the priority of this one.

Just adding this here (since the link from @Oshyan 's comment didn’t seem to get pulled in with a preview):

Thanks for your reply. I am looking forward to seeing anytype develop. Thanks for all your hard work. Hope everybody is doing well.

Coming from Craft and Notion I deeply miss this feature, would love to see it implemented.

Same coming from Obsidian, although lists are even worse without toggles.

I also wonder why we can’t sub-block within a title, header or sub-header…
I can insert a text block inside / below another text block (indenting it in the process), but I can’t with a header… that’s unfortunate… I guess that would be dealt with the solution then?

Thanx for your insight !

We have plans to tackle this one alongside main issue.

Update: This is in the backlog for 2024 on our Public Roadmap

So glad it’s on the roadmap—even if it’s in the backlog!

WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND?

I would like to request a feature that allows headers (e.g., H1, H2, H3, etc.) to be used as collapsible sections in markdown files. This would enhance the organization and readability of long documents by enabling users to collapse and expand sections as needed.

HOW COULD IT BE DONE?

Similar to Notion, a collapsible header could be created using a syntax like > ## to add a collapsible title.

REAL WORLD USE CASES

Notion # > or > #

it’s strange to see this still marked as a feature request and not planned.

the closest and best example for me is obsidian.

  • there you can also fold and unfold all headings at once
  • not to mention you can also fold individual lists, which is SUPER useful!

p.s. the folding works in a hierarchical way if 1st level heading gets hidden, the other follow. same for lower levels

the existing toggle is just not as good for this kind of stuff. you have to spend too much time first adding this toggle and then placing content inside. btw it also cannot be uset as heading at once, which is also quite annoying


Except it is planned:

But don’t place to much hope in this roadmap, it has disapointed many people more than once. A feature listed here could stays for many years and even be deprioritized or removed.

yeah I’m aware about roadmap, ty

I have faith that one day this will happen :smiling_face_with_tear:

That’s why I have headers above every list. :smiley:

Edit:

OK, on the serious side (since this is my main blocker right now) - can the folding/collapsing be implemented for Headers (first)?

Is there any difference between implementing this for all blocks (as the most popular request on this topic) and just for Headers?