Significant slowdown in performance

WHAT IS THE BUG
As I added more and more text to my pages, I realized that they were getting slower and slower to copy elements, and even to write or make line breaks!
It’s becoming very tedious and slow.

HOW TO REPRODUCE IT
I have the feeling that the slowdown is due to the use of toggle blocks. Here’s an export of my object, so you can see for yourself how slow it is to manipulate, copy and edit blocks:

For example, here’s how long it takes to copy a few toggle blocks each containing just a few pages of text.
Anytype_T89LP9vuH2
Over 40 seconds of delay!

THE EXPECTED BEHAVIOR
No more slowdown for such a small amount of data.

SYSTEM INFORMATION
Device: PC
OS version: win32 x64 10.0.22621
App version: 0.38.0
Build number: build on 2024-01-23 17:45:05 +0000 UTC at #c71c64146c6e721ac39e01d450f38db5e6963f2e (dirty)
Library version: v0.30.12
Account, Analytics and Device ID: Privately disclosed if necessary

I will look into that, nice observation.

This should fix at least enter press problem optimise blockStore.updateMarkup · anyproto/anytype-ts@db46dd0 · GitHub, very heavy operation on all text blocks.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ve got the problem, you can create indefinitely big tree with toggles and here is an example. We will discuss how to fix this.

1 Like

I suppose that at a certain level of complexity, data manipulation can become cumbersome, but there’s 500 times less complexity here than with other software that allows infinite toggle block leveling.

Thanks for your reactivity, the next update will help for sure.

This report has been added to our issue tracker and received by the Development Team.

What’s The Bug?

When I had less amounts of data in anytype, it was very snappy but now when I have aroung 5gb of data in it, all the sets and objects take around 3 seconds to load at minimum…
I thought this would be way faster than notion, but now when I compare both of them, Notion handles the same amount of data in a more efficient way.

How To Reproduce It

Use Anytype intensively with many blocks

The Expected Behavior

No loading times, or at least not so long for so little offline data.

Additional Context

Also anytype is a RAM eater, half a gigabyte of RAM and sometimes a gigabyte by anytype helper, optimization is still left. I hope this is alpha and thus not well optimized, hope to see it improve soon!

Bug Detective update ▼
Device: PC
OS version: win32 x64 10.0.22621
App version: 0.38.0
Build number: build on 2024-01-23 17:45:05 +0000 UTC at #c71c64146c6e721ac39e01d450f38db5e6963f2e (dirty)
Library version: v0.30.12

2 Likes

To be clear, are you experiencing slowdown with just Sets or both Sets and Objects? I’ve noticed that Sets will slow down to a crawl if it’s been used often for a long time; my old Sets I used for tracking tasks and notes used to take upwards of 30 seconds to load (on all platforms). Creating a brand new Set with the exact same filters, views and sorts would completely solve the issue, strangely enough.

Object slowdown is certainly more curious, but it’d be nice if you could provide more details about how you used Anytype and those Objects and Sets; this post doesn’t have much information. Do you edit and view them frequently? Or how much blocks are stored there, and how old is it? Do you experience the slowdown on just Desktop, or other platforms too like Android?

It’d be useful if you could provide a screen recording and more details about the exact scenario; the library development team @GoTeam might be able to follow up with instructions on how to collect logs for this issue based on what information you provide.

2 Likes

Some long text pages still take several seconds to display, so the bug is still present on my side.
I had previously created another report detailing a possible cause of slowdown.

1 Like