Setting up a movie database in AnyType

AnyType is showcasing an exciting paradigm in personal knowledge management that I don’t recall seeing anywhere else. I REALLY want this OO approach to succeed, because I can see the potential.
I use the following for PKM

• Obsidian - note taking
  • Things3 - task management
  • OneNote - filing
  • Notion - databases and lists

If I could have all that in one app, I would

I decided my first use case would be a set of movie objects. I have one in Notion as a database of pages, but the export/import was largely unusable. Properties came across as text, not as relations

For example

Amelie

Created: September 6, 2021
Genre: Comedy, Romance
IMDB: Die fabelhafte Welt der Amelie (2001) - IMDb
Rating: 8
Type: Movie
Watched: No

I thought I might be able to drag the imported movie objects into a movie set I had created.
No drag and drop yet, which I’m sure is on a wishlist somewhere.

I’m not complaining - I know this is in Alpha status, but the end result is still negative for AnyType because it would take too long to add all the data, so I’m not able to include it in my workflow.

• I have played around with it enough to find out that the filtering and sorting is excellent. AnyType has a much faster page load than Notion, which is an important ‘win’. Slow loading times create resistance to using a process.
  • A much more complete set of migration tools is needed urgently, because unless people can get set up in AnyType with minumum effort, they won’t engage.
  • Also a much more complete set of use cases, for the same reason.
  • I would like to see more emphasis placed on the object paradigm. In programming, objects have methods, properties, and parents. These should be easily accessible via a menu selection for every single object.
4 Likes

Hi @Thinkingdreamer, thanks for posting your thoughts!

First of all, I agree it would be so awesome if Anytype could replace all those tools :slight_smile:. I mainly use OneNote and To Do because I’m working at a Microsoft oriented company (and that way I started using their tools for personal use, too), but I’d prefer my data to be mine forever.

Regarding your suggestion to be able to drag items into a set:

Could you checkout whether this feature request is similar enough for you?

As you noted yourself already, Anytype is indeed in an alpha stage. Once an API is released in directly interact with the underlying database, I expect “the community” should be able to create integrations to (more) easily make Anytype part of other workflows that are currently outside Anytype (either as the starting point, intermediate, or endpoint of your workflow).

Agree. Period.

Could you elaborate what kind of use cases you have in mind, just to get an idea in what direction(s) you are thinking.

It feels to me like the Anytype team has found their way with the Object paradigm, but due to the early stage of development, not all practicalities around this have been ironed out. I think these are some discussions you might find useful or interesting:

Could you checkout whether this feature request is similar enough for you?

Yes, I think so - yours is broader. I was hoping to be about to drag items into the movie database set I had created. Even copy and paste doesn’t work yet. Your proposed import method would be called for a drop or a paste.

Could you elaborate what kind of use cases you have in mind,
just to get an idea in what direction(s) you are thinking.

I have tried some of the use cases presented on the website and they look impressive. The presentation is great. The missing part is the day by day use case for all of them, to easily set up, maintain, and update a database (eg copy, paste, drag, drop, add, modify, parse).

1 Like