Print Is Buggy

Describe the bug

When you want to print an Anytype page, you typically do not want that is part of the UI printed. Though, if you select ‘Print’ while you have the pop-up menu (where you can make text bold etc.) open, the menu shows up in the print as well.

It also automatically adds “anytype” on the top left corner and this cannot be disabled.

One more thing, since Anytype does not currently have PDF export functions, I printed the page using “Print to PDF” but I was not able to select the text (to copy and paste) in the pdf.

To Reproduce

Steps to reproduce the behavior:

1. Open a page that has some text in it.
    1. Select a word to open up the pop-up menu.
    1. Click the three dots on the top right corner.
    1. Select ‘Print’ and print the page.

Desktop

• Version: 0.17.8

Additional Context

You can find an example output printed to a pdf file in the attachments.
ipsum.pdf

4 Likes

@BGray Thank you for your notice! It has been added to the bug tracker.

Maybe not exactly in this topic but I have a few suggestions regarding the Print option

• Have the option of hiding “Anytype” text in the top left - I don’t know if this is intended, but it is a bit weird to have “Anytype” printed on each page.
  • Have the option to show the Cover Picture
  • For the “Bookmark” block, the image in the prettylink is not shown in the final print
  • There are no margins on the top of the document, but a huge one on the bottom of the page.
3 Likes

@phileas Thank you for your suggestions!

3 Likes

There is also the issue where the block of text gets cropped as in the image above

2 Likes

I’m having this same issue of text being cropped; sometimes, you can notice that it’s being cropped; but sometimes, it’s just invisibly cropped. Makes it hard to spot !

Also can confirm that I’m having blocks be cropped off in the middle of the page. I’m also having trouble with the Checkbox text type being cropped to the left.

1 Like

Print appears to have been rebuilt in Anytype Desktop 0.24.0. Now, when pressing Command+P, the window will zoom out, creating a zoomed out canvas that fits much more information on a single page.

However, having an Object Canvas open in pop-up mode and printing it will result in whatever is below the Object Canvas popup also being printed.

For reference, the “A” object is opened in a popup, while “Clipboard test” is the object that is below the popup.

Image from Print to PDF

App screenshot

Describe the bug

If you try to print a page that it’s opened in cropped view (not in full screen), the result of the print is buggy because it prints only a page with the background of the cropped page.

Just for a better understanding, this is an example of the page I want to print, opened in a cropped view:

and this is a screenshot of the (one page) PDF file generated by the print:

To Reproduce

Steps to reproduce the behavior:

1. Open a page from Set (or any other type which allow you to display the page not in full-screen)
    1. Click on the ‘…’ symbol in the top right of the page
    1. Click on ‘Print’ and print the file in a PDF file
    1. See the result: a one page PDF file with an weird content which display just a portion of the file you wanted to print and also the background of the set you used to open that page.

Expected behavior

The PDF file generated by the ‘Print’ function should works also in cropped views, not only when the page is opened in full-screen

Desktop (please complete the following information):

• Device: Dell
  • Version: 0.18.57

Additional context

If you print the page while in full screen, the problem doesn’t happen

2 Likes