Hi everybody and Anytype team
I’m a photographer running an advertising studio so using lots of tools for the creative / administration / communication /tasks-management aspects of my business in addition of the classic PKM uses for my everyday life. Today my workflow revolves primarily around Craft, Notion and Apple notes. Used Evernote and Bear for years before.
Notion is a productivity beast but so slow and clunky that I’m always reluctant to open it, some server outage in the middle of work freaked me out as well. In other hand I really enjoy to use Craft but the lack of tags/databse makes it not suitable for tasks management and PKM.
I stated that my dream app would need clean UI/UX like Craft, advanced database/sorting/tags options like Notion, privacy concerned like Bear when I stumbled upon Anytype after trying all the alternatives you can imagine (Obsidian, Tana, Capacities, …).
Genuinely impressed by the app, ticks so many boxes I love such as:
- Decentralized approach and the whole objetcs paradigm.
- Feels like the perfect mix of my 2 actual most used apps (Notion and Craft)
- Offline first, so snappy compared to Notion (online only apps like Tana or Capacities are dealbreaker for me)
- The attention to privacy and overall manifesto
What I’m missing
- No possibility to share a page as weblink. (This Notion/Craft/ feature deeply changed my way of working and communicating with clients without the need to go through export and pdfs)
- Custom icons. Emojis are making everything ugly and childish IMHO
- Backlinks. Necessary to quickly spot if a note is linked or not to another and to navigate between
- A way to spot notes that are “lost” in the system, not linked to anything or without relations.
- Toggle for title and headings.
- Better iOS app (drawing with pen, scanning, etc.)
- Notifications (for due dates for exemple)
- About the left bar: Still difficult to adapt to a non hierachical approach, I like the non folders paradigm (reason I like Bear and their tag/subtag system) but I’m missing another kind of organization between favorites and sets. Something maybe like Notion but more virtual (without objects being actually embedded in other objects), maybe more in Bear fashion ?
- Very slow syncing
- Can’t delete files ? (images, pdfs, videos,.)the Notion importer made huge mess and impossible to remove files after.
- I’m little bit worried about the pace of development and the future of Anytype, the app seems to be under work since a while and lots of people lost patience and ranted about it online.
Glad to be on board as Alpha tester, and overrall very excited by Anytype. I’ll continue to test the app in the upcoming days and see how it fits in my everyday life.
To switch completely my pro workflow I would need some more time, some missing features stated above and more confidence that Anytype will not be abandoned in this crowded and fast moving market.
That said I can’t wait to the public beta to be released and see what’s next.
All the best