Completion date for objects with the done relation

WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND

Completion date for objects that are using the action layout and have a done relation.

HOW COULD IT BE DONE

Implement a system relation similar to creation date / last modified date / etc. which would contain the time and date when the done relation has been checked.

REAL WORLD USE CASES

This would be very useful when tracking what has been done in the past.

RECOMMENDED ALTERNATIVES

The closest thing we have right now is the last modified date relation.

ADDITIONAL CONTEXT

/

3 Likes

How do you suggest this could be implemented? Would this work only for pages with an “action” layout or for any “checkbox” relation?

Hmm, it could certainly later be implemented to work with any checkbox item.

I gave it some thought and here is what I came up with:

For “action” objects I can clearly see an implementation, exactly as you suggested:

So like this:

For checkbox relations I can see two options:

1. If using that date to filter/order a set is not needed.
A simple small date in the relations panel like this:

2. If using that date to filter/order a set is needed (for example to filter/order sets).
Here things get a bit more complex but not impossible in my opinion, this is my idea (even thought this is more like a new feature request): We could have a new “derivate/tracker/connected” relation type that can be set to monitor to another relation and store information about the last time that relation changed.

I’m looking forward to your (and everyone’s) opinion on all this.

A simple and flexible system would just give us an option to choose which relation to track for completion or even let us create multiple relations. So, this could just be a relation type, or this could even be implemented using formulas.

1 Like

Would be useful to have an in-built relation that stores when the checkbox was last checked (and possibly one that shows when it was last unchecked).

Pipe dream: allow enabling full history, recording every event (in case of multiple checks/unchecks).

Pipe dream plus: have every Object (and Relation) contain meta-Relations that record such events. Most users wouldn’t need to see/use this (this could be disabled by default). But could be very useful for certain situations.

Related:

1 Like