Avoid access and delete local space if access is revoked

WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND?

Prevent a user to take data is nearly impossible, but should be difficult to do, and we can’t make this easy. Taking in consideration space is completly synced, we need to add some possible restrictions if it’s a shared space to comply with DLP.

HOW COULD IT BE DONE?

It’s not so difficult at all from the technical side. First of all, I would define several options when sharing a space.

  • Require sync.on/off
  • Local deletion after revoke on/off
  • Export on/off

If requires sync is turned on, it checks if network is available and check permissions. If user has access, space opens, and syncs, if not, doesn’t opens and, if Local Deletion is on, space is directly removed from local storage. Export it’s clear. If it’s turned off, is not possible in to export anything from the space to import in another space

REAL WORLD USE CASES

Every day DLP is more and more important. We can and must have Data Agreements and so on, but this doesn’t prevents from an untrusted source to copy the data in some way. Anytype is so secure, but we need a security layer in shared spaces for trusted users that becomes untrusted. We work with big companies that are very very serious about how we manage their information, how we store it. How Anytype works right now, syncs completly an space, and I think is not the problem at all, the issue is allowing a user to be able to get the data even when access is revoked, is unaceptable for a medium size company worried about security of their information. Of course, a trusted user can copy the data in thousands ways, but once access is revoked shouldn’t be possible.

RECOMMENDED ALTERNATIVES

No idea about alternatives. I think what I suggested is easy to implement and enough.

ADDITIONAL CONTEXT

When I showed the tool to my partners they like it, but in the same moment they saw local data with possibility of export once permissions are revoked, was discarted instant. But the problem I think is not the local copy at all, because I guess this copy is encrypted, the issue is the user can still has access to it.

I hadn’t seen this request, it’s in line with one of my discussions on another subject.
No free vote but I’ll follow and vote when I can.

Just here to remember the importance of this on a corporate environment.

I just tested it, and it seems to be implemented correctly.
I just have a question about whether the files are completely deleted from the object store, but I’ll file a bug report.