Anytwo and the future of Anytype

Hey!

I’ve been mia for a while but I’m super excited for what you guys are building here. I’m overall, not too bummed about the data transfer process since we’ve done this before (aka, I’ve been here since the alpha days but quiet as of the past year or so - heck, life happens). I did want to ask about how previous beta tester rewards have worked and whether these will transfer over to Anytwo or not. I know, I know, *sigh, it’s not a big deal if not, especially as someone who has wanted to support Anytype for a while now, but being a broke college student who hasn’t consistently figured out how to use Anytype with any sort of concrete regularity (I still use it, don’t get me wrong… like for jotting down random thoughts about food ideas at 2 am because I can’t sleep lol). I’m mostly just curious and very hopeful that Anytwo gets me using the app in more ways than before (I’m already imagining a variety of personal use cases). Yet, at the same time, I totally get the team’s decision either way. Also, I was a bit interested in how the Agent part of the app works. Is it local? Does it connect with other AI apps? I noticed in the town hall that you got an integration going with Apple Intelligence in the Anyscribe app (which honestly, would probably be what I would use in that case). I’m a bit, personally climate-conscious since we’re bound to exceed the 1.5 C threshold and AI is having a bit of a moment regarding environmental effects amongst a myriad of other controversies, so local models would be my preference even though I haven’t actually spent too much time ever trying to set any up on my Mac and mostly try to limit my AI use due to certain ethical, environmental, and privacy-related concerns. I hope you don’t mind my essay of a reply here (with a ton of unnecessary overexplanation as usual) and I’m so excited to what’s coming in Anytwo (definitely would love to get my feet wet soon :wink:).

Appending this to my original reply, since I thought to mention it in my first one (but didn’t). Has the Any team ever considered marketing their software towards students? I know a ton of classmates who use Notion (ugh). I think it might be worth considering having like a “student plan” as far as memberships go in Anytwo that could be a little less sophisticated than other memberships, but could encourage students to consider using it as a tool for learning, notetaking, organising, planning, etc. I feel like that’s one area of focus (from a current student) that you could focus on more since there are a ton of students in the world and we basically end up working with a lot of mediocre software (staring at Notability, Quizlet, NotebookLM, and even Microsoft Office, Google Calendar, and pick-your-poison of task management software) that’s okay on it’s own, but really just adds up and is disconnected. So I feel like Anytwo could fill this space and connect the gaps in a way that could be astronomically helpful when it comes to being a student (heck, you could even probably get certain schools on board depending). Just thoughts from this brain.

Mobile lagging behind desktop is expected, I was more interested in understanding the expected gap between iOS and Android. Will Android continue to lag behind iOS or will that change?

Recently revisited how Tana outliner works, I realise again how field and the linked objects within a field is extremely useful for laying out contexts of texts. In Any’s language, embeds and transculsions with property/relation help situate texts.

For example, in a YouTube illustration of tana usage, a decision can be layout into different components, with references to sub-questions and their fields. This demonstrates the whole picture which assist the decision.

Hello, old user here. :waving_hand:t2: Still actively using Anytype everyday, but I have not watched any town-halls or read any Community news for the past couple of months. No time to back read so I will write my questions and comments here and hope it gets a reply…

  1. Is that the actual name, Anytwo, or just a codename for the version? It sounds, well, a bit strange to name it based on being a second version rather than based on what the product does or its core features. (Such as the Type in Anytype) I hope it’s just a temporary nickname. As a person out of the loop, I honestly can’t tell if it’s serious. :sweat_smile:
  2. You mentioned some things will carry over from Anytype but membership tiers are undecided. I know you guys have already done a lot for us, not to be selfish, but I’m hoping the perks from old Alpha tester accounts will carry over such as the free storage that we’ve earned over the years. While I’m an active user on mobile, I’m only an individual who doesn’t do much outside personal notes and knowledge management. I don’t even use chats. I’d hate to stay in Anytype if it means it may or may not get a update anymore, depending on community use. I would love to explore what Anytwo has to offer, but stay in an individual free plan, if that’s not too much to ask.
  3. And while we’re in the topic of Anytype contributions, was the plan to do a points sysem of sorts to get perks abandoned? I haven’t heard about it in over a year. The reason I’m asking is because I contributed to translation but didn’t get to submit my name yet because it was still incomplete. At that time, no one else was translating in my language, so it wouldn’t go live unless I finish it myself. I don’t think it’s been completed up to this day, and I’ve been wanting to get back to it to finish my contribution. Can someone please explain to me how it will work moving forward? Is it still worth contributing to get community points? If I want to keep translating, do I continue with Anytype in Crowdin or will there be a separate translation project for Anytwo?
  4. A lifetime membership sounds like a good idea. I hope it’s a lifetime offer, too, and not a limited-time offer because, as I’ve said, I don’t need the ‘premium’ features yet in my Anytype journey.
  5. Layout and appearance-wise, will Anytwo be very different? I’m kinda fussy with my layouts, and customizability is one of the things that I loved with the older versions. This is something that I need to understand before I migrate what feels like a lifetime of objects by now.

Thank you so much for all your efforts and generosity with this app! And of course, congrats with this new milestone. :sparkles: It seems like a lot of the team members have changed already (I see new faces/accounts), and I honestly miss some of the old ones (both admins and users), but it’s good to see that the app is still moving forward to improve its features and continue with its advocacies. You guys have come a long way!

Looking forward to someone taking pity on me and giving me the non-techie explanation to my questions. :joy:

PS.
I read the PS! Somehow, I missed it the first time. Keeping #1 up for feedback and discussion purposes.

  1. Yes, it’s a codename. Very clear, so it works well for this purpose, but I hope it will remain just a codename.

  2. This has come up several times; all we know is that they won’t forget us.
    And there will still be updates for Anytype (but with a smaller team… and only as long as Anytype remains viable; currently, there are enough paid accounts to support the infrastructure behind it).

  3. Good question. Nobody has asked for another language on AnyTwo yet (even though the need is obviously there).

  4. Yes. Quite a few features are missing right now, but it should expand to get back to roughly the same level as Anytype. Still, the overall experience feels different. Depending on how people use it, some have a hard time with it (like me), while others love it; everyone defends their own preferences, it’s not the point here :wink:. Feel free to check out @Curie 's videos or skim through the post by @Code-Jack here to get a better idea of what it looks like.
    BUT keep in mind, as Kaye often reminds us: it’s going to evolve, a lot of things still need to be reworked, so it could end up looking quite different when it’s fully available! We are really just at the beginning!
    Thanks to these videos and posts, you can enjoy the journey but not the destination just yet :airplane:

Shampra already answered the questions, but you just reminded me that I’d be very enthustiastic to translate Anytwo as well!

Although I believe we won’t hear anything about it until at least something has been released. The team and the current testers have other more important things to do right now! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I haven’t read through this thread, but I just want to commend you guys for having the guts to do AnyTwo instead of getting stuck in all the problems of keeping backwards compatibility. I’ll be honest that I have 1 foot in Anytype and 1 in Obsidian depending on work/personal and what projects, but am very excited to see where Anytwo leads and I plan on migrating to it.

Given the use of Tauri instead of Electron and other architectural improvements. What kind of performance and resource utilization efficiency including RAM usage and cold start time can be expected from Any2. Can you provide any expected or confirmed numbers in this regard.

Can in the new Any2 I can have a integrated calendar, task, reminder and note system?

Will there be an android app, and will the feature parity between desktop and mobile be lesser with Any2?

Thank you, @Shampra !

Since I came here as a tester, I want to see the app improve and move forward. Seems like there’s really no other choice but to migrate! Honestly, any app where the old version is kept running sounds like it’s just waiting for its users to move on. :sweat_smile: Only this time, I’m not so eager to jump to the next version because I’ve already integrated the app with my life, and it’s gonna take some time to make sure all my objects and layouts are running smoothly.

Anyteam, do you promise this new infrastructure is truly future-proof? This is the last migration, please! I feel a sense of pride and weariness at being here for so long that I’m going through all migrations. :joy:

As for the translations, @Has true, it’s not a priority right now. But since Anytwo is meant to be a continuation of Anytype, I’m wondering if the translations could just carry over to the new app. Seems like it’ll be pointless for me to continue translating Anytype if the next app won’t use it. I hope someone handling the languages will give an answer.

I will definitely check out these posts you linked. Thanks for giving me the shortcuts, Shampra! If you don’t mind me asking, have you started using the app for actual personal/work use or are you still focusing on testing and contributions? Just curious! (I remember you saying you’ll stick to testing until you’re satisfied with the features/performance)

Though I’m not a team member and though I’ve never looked into the code, I’m fully convinced that this is indeed the last migration.
I would even put my hand into fire for that.

For me it’s obvious, that the team has (after all these years) really understood what the different restrictions was, that the old Anytype has per design. And they decided, to clean up this mess and to overcome the restrictions, even at the high cost that it confronts us users with the need for a hard migration.
– This was clearly not a decision after a bottle of vodka! If someone decides to make such a huge step that definitely will make many users angry (some even so much that they leave), the decision makers must be fully sure about what they doe.

They also have well understood, after all these years, what the users real needs are.
Our old Anytype has flaws and misising features erywhere. We all know that.
But even if you are a programmer who already well knows about the users needs, you can’t implement the needed solutions if the underlying data model has interconnected dead ends everywhere that you unfortunately can’t fix because of compatibility problems.
It’s an endless circle in which you rotate all the time. Like a whirlpool i a glass. No escape.
– Let’s smash the glass!

Yesterday I’ve finally understood, why global Properties are trouble makers.
It has hit me like an enlightement.
I don’t need to look into the code for understanding the principle from an eagle’s point of view.
This time, the team makes really nails with heads! They have the knowledge and the experience now!

The recent six years was necessary for them to get everything clear and to come to the right conclusions, without overlooking the less obvious aspects.

Yes, we’ve considered it and many in academia use Anytype. In fact, many teachers use it with their students.

We imagine that they’d be at roughly the same pace, but we can’t guarantee this. Android deals with a lot more complexity due to device variance in its ecosystem. The dynamics are not the same.

Yes, there are a lot of great things that Tana (Outliner) does well, and definitely good inspiration. The primary issue is that it has a high level of complexity as is, which gets exacerbated when multiple people are working together. So even if the knowledge is organised well, it’s about getting the right balance with what users are able to manage.

While I’d love to say “it’s future proof”, the reality is that nothing lasts forever. It’s irresponsible and outlandish to say a piece of software from 2026 will still be future proof in 2056. But we have certainly taken many decisions to make this as ‘future proof as possible’ and we don’t anticipate the need to do a hard migration from what we can foresee.

We recently fully updated the Anytype Docs, because it deserves to have good documentation regardless. But yes, Anytwo will have new docs. Much of the content can actually be re-used (vault, keys, privacy, etc.), but a good portion will also be new.

Tauri vs. Electron, I think you’re better off looking at industry benchmarks for the differences. As for confirmed numbers, that’s not possible today because the app is not complete.

For your other questions, the town hall video and post at the beginning should better answer those questions.

Having tested Anytwo over the last few days, I’m really impressed by how fast the team is moving. The frequency of updates and overall speed of development is a massive step up from what we used to see with Anytype.

​For anyone waiting to try it, keep your hopes high. Anytwo is turning into a total beast, and the team is adding features and fixing bugs way faster than expected. It’s definitely on track to meet our expectations and get beyond that.

TL;DR: I’ve used Anytype since the beginning and love it, and I’ve converted several non-tech friends to it. I’m (really) excited about Anytwo, but I’m worried that the new name and “new product” framing will confuse non-tech users. With the rise of more usages through mini-apps, I’d also love to see Anytwo prioritize more simple UX (like Capacities does).


Why I’m writing this

Hi! I just want to share my feelings about this announcement. I’ve been using Anytype since its early days, and I really love this software.

I feel like I have a pretty unreliable memory, and Anytype has genuinely helped with that. I note everything in it: my deep thoughts, quick notes on the fly, and so on. It’s a wonderful tool for that, and I’m very grateful that such a talented and attentive team is building something fundamentally new that matches my principles of open source, local-first, and developing alongside the community.

The naming concern

My love for Anytype has even led me to convert several friends to it, and they love it too (even with the obvious limitations that are pushing you to build this new product).

But the friends I converted aren’t tech nerds. For us, “crazy” (like said by @kaye), it’s easy to understand (and even encourage) the need to restart from a solid foundation after 7 years of learning. But a lot of people are not tech-crazy-nerds, and to survive as a company in this world, you need to make the switch as smooth as possible for everyone. I’m honestly a bit worried about how this will be implicitly received by the non-tech people who use Anytype.

It’s mostly what the new name “Anytwo” suggests, along with the answers I’m seeing from the Any team, who fully embrace the “new product” angle. For instance:

kaye:

Mayar:

It’s kind of confusing for me, is Anytype/Anytwo synonyms for each other (where Anytwo is just the new shift in the product, but still being the same product)

No, they are not synonyms for each other whatsoever. We explicitly used different names in order to not make them seem like the same thing, which they are not.

A suggestion: “Anytype Legacy” + migration

As you described in the Town Hall, it’s quite honorable to see how this new product “takes” with the community before deciding on the future of your startup. But if, as you say, you’ve found a much better way to do peer-to-peer CRDT sync, why do you seem so hesitant to do a real migration from an old version of your software, to a new one ?

By doing the two-naming thing (Anytype vs Anytwo), you really run the risk of letting go of the sense of self-worth and trust you’ve built up around the “Anytype” brand and name, especially for non-tech users. Maybe you don’t see it, but some non-tech people are now talking to each other of Anytype like it was a brand. But non-tech-focused people don’t want a complex migration or even try to understand why to migrate to a product with a new name because of technical details. In my opinion, this could really lead to a loss of trust—as if, in the minds of non-tech people, Anytype had been acquired or something like that. On the contrary, I think you should reassure them that their note-taking software is about to take a huge leap forward, and that it’s going to be even more flexible and easy to use.

A move that would have seemed far more logical to me: an “Anytype Legacy”, and once Anytwo is ready, a really good migration tool to transfer Spaces data into the new Anytype. I believe you’ve done this kind of one-way migration in the past, and after all, you managed to make migration tools for Notion, Obsidian… Why not migrate fully and 90% safely Anytype Spaces to Anytwo ? At least for most basics blocs.

Your team has always been very attentive, and I fully understand the technical needs behind this new product. Still, I think you’re taking a big risk as a young company by letting go of a reputation that has grown a lot over the years. Some non-tech users may not understand, simply assume their note-taking tool no longer works, and end up frustrated with the alternatives to big-tech solutions.

Personal feedback on UX and polish

On a personal note, I have a small frustration when watching your demo. It’s extremely promising, and I’m sure it will bring a lot to the current experience (the editor ! the miniapps ! the collection, wow !). But it feels like a step back in terms of polish and UX thinking.

After watching your Town Hall, I went back and looked at demos of Capacities. It doesn’t have the local-first and p2p side we love so much, but it puts the experience for non-tech users front and center, with a lot of polish and a very easy setups (for GTD, for external tools without having to ask an AI to build it…). Everything you’re offering in Anytwo will be a huge leap forward compared to Anytype, but if you want to reach a wider audience, I think you also need to bet heavily on a simple UX with easy-to-set-up workflows. That’s something Capacities does very well, in my opinion.

Mini-apps: excitement and questions

Mini-apps look very promising. Part of me is extremely excited to be able to vibe-code my own mini-apps. I’d love to build scrapers to import my Letterboxd data, since that quickly hit limits with Anytype’s API.

I hope installing mini-apps will be simple enough, that (python if I understood correctly ?) will not be too limited (to scrap websites, searching through the database). And lastly, I hope that things won’t get too messy around the different data types that mini-apps import into the database, and how mini-apps connects between them.

Also, I didn’t quite understand whether mini-app data is “separate” from the Space or not?

Anyway, when I look at the reactions, I see both a lot of excitement and a lot of high expectations from this community. I think we have high expectations because we truly believe in your team and your product. Once again, thank you so much for everything you do. The future looks so promising with you!

This is a double sided sword.
Many have once tested Anytype, maybe a year or two years ago and they found it “sh*tty”.
If they hear the word “Anytype” and that you recommends it to them, they think “bah, I know it already, it isn’t good”.

A new name can help to reach such users who have abandoned Anytype in past.
They are maybe willing, to give the new thing a new chance.
They would barely do that, if the name remains the same and only the version number has increased.

We old users who have stayed with Anytype til today, look from a different point of view on the situation.
But honestly, it is not such a big deal for us. Also a person that marries someone, can change half of his/hers name.

At the moment, “AnyTwo” is only a pseudonyme. A code name (or how to call it correctly in English).
It would cause chaos here in the forum if the new thing would have the same name, but a thousand things are different from the legacy Anytype …
No one would get it what’s going on.

It makes sense (also for other reasons) to hold the new thing under a code name and only give it the real name for the first time when you release it to the open.

I have been using Anytype for 3 years (tested as nightly in initial stages) and I just want to say first that the team has been doing the best they can over the years. Yes, the pace of the some features has been slow but for my purposes, Anytype has worked. I am beyond excited for Anytwo and looking forward to testing it out (signed up for waitlist as well) but so far I feel its promising. I tried other apps (notion, obsidian for a bit) but anytype just clicked with me from the start when I discovered it 3 years ago. I also lost data in initial stages, which was painful but since Anytype has been rock solid for me personally.

I do want to ask though that are the mobile/tablet versions of Anytwo will be prioritised too with the launch of AnyTwo at end of the year?

I think it is natural to fear change due to its uncertainty but its a must if progress needs to be made.

Great work Anytype team. Looking forward to the next step in AnyType’s evolution.

Still doesn’t feel fast enough, because there’s still lots to do. Thanks for the kind words. I’m glad you’re sharing the positive expectations. I hope we can deliver what people want, but I still want to emphasise that we will unlikely have all the features you’d want at the beginning. But for some users with simpler uses, maybe. :slight_smile:

Thank you for your kind words!

Anytwo is a codename for today. It’s very important to use a different name from Anytype otherwise it will just lead to a lot of unnecessary confusion. We will make a decision later on the final name.

No doubt. The demo (and the product today) is still missing many many things. We cannot polish something, and make it easy to use, when the feature itself doesn’t exist. Rest assured that we’ll do our best in usability and onboarding. Our approach in bringing on testers deeply into the process should showcase that we care about how people are using it. Nonetheless, we’re going to get things wrong and have many areas of improvement, feedback is always welcome.

No, mini app data is the same as the entire space. Mini apps are like portals into the space. One mini app gives you one experience, another gives you a different experience—all of the same objects in the space.

Thanks for your kind words and support. What do you mean by prioritised? We have mobile apps in development, but desktop matures faster. We don’t anticipate that they’d be at the same level anytime soon. Unfortunately, we’re also not promising a mobile release before the end of the year.

OohhKeehh …
– I think every day, that Anton must be VERY happy with the actual speed of the devs.

But there’s something else that worries me:
The release is expected soon (in less then two months) and if I compare my data in Anytype with the situation in AnyTwo, then it seems to be clear, that I must – no matter how good the migration tool works --, either:

  1. Do A LOT manual work on quasi every single of my 5000 Objects.
  2. Or use AI to support me for getting everything right in AnyTwo.

My personal problem: I’m behind the time and not ready for using AI.
– Not because I don’t want.
But because I don’t know how to?

Yeah, I know, there was some manuals if you want to call it so …
but honestly: these instructions left me with my jaw on the floor and a “wtf” expression.
I feel like a six years old boy who became confronted with calculus.

In my sweetest dreams, it would look like this:

  1. There is a new AI (free & open source) that everyone can download.
  2. A double click on the installer does the whole thing and “whush” I have my local installed AI that out of the box interacts with AnyTwo.
  3. And this magic AI buddy would of course NEVER blow my data into the internet, not even the tiniest fragment!
    No “calling home”, no telemetry, nothing.

This is what I wish.
This is what I would use.

There is simply no way that even the best migration tool could manage to get my data over to AnyTwo and organize them there as I want, if there’s no AI involved.
– That has to do with the fact that I already know that I want to have certain things (a lot things) different then it was in Anytype.
No migration tool can know that.

Either I can tell an AI what I want, or I have to do it all manually.
But for 5000 Objects … :-/

These were exactly my thoughts!

And maybe it could even be an optional, official any plug-in, pre-packaged and configured by the anyteam that just does what it should and gets updated automatically when anytwo gets updated.

This would be my dream come true and it could be a service you could ask money for, too.