Toggled blocks/titles issue when trying to add an empty line with "Enter" key - executes a "Shift+Tab" action

When writing inside a toggled block or title, in the main body of the text, if you try to add an empty line by pressing the “Enter” key, it does not add a line but instead it executes a “Shift+Tab” function kicking you out of that main block.

Note in the video I recorded that this does not happen if I generate a Tabulated block from that main block within the general toggled block, and then generate empty lines with “Enter”.

This behavior does not seem to appear under other normal block conditions as tested in the example video.

This behavior is super annoying for me since I like to work mostly with toggled titles and blocks to organize information in a clean way.

Could you please fix this? thanks!

Thanks for the feedback. I’m a little unclear by both your description and the video of what the expected behaviour you’re looking for is?

When you are in a toggle and on an empty block, pressing enter will indeed ‘shift+tab’ (unindent) you up one level. This is the same behaviour if you are on a bullet point that’s empty, pressing enter will unindent you and remove the bullet point.

Is your desire that pressing enter on empty blocks inside a toggle to keep you inside the toggle?

Hey Kaye, you pretty much summarized the behavior I would expect.

You already have the option to unindent with Shift+Tab. I want Enter to do what you would expect, always create an empty line whenever needed.

Why would you ever want to unindent from a toggled block by pressing Enter? The reason for the user to use a toggle block is that they want to keep editing in it for quite a while. Voluntarily exiting the toggled block with Shift+Tab makes sense, not with Enter from an empty block. It is a nuisance.


Interesting you bring up the bullet point. It also doesn’t make much sense either. You have Tab and Shift+Tab to move it left and right. Here the expected behavior would be for Enter to just remove the bullet and switch the block to plain text, not to shift the bullet left if it was indented.

This is the expected behaviour and what happens today with bullets. The point is that behaviour was translated from bullets to toggles: to remove the toggle when pressing enter on an empty block and switch the block to plain text. This is what it does today, which is similar to how many editors treat behaviour to other block types.

Shift-tab is not as widely used as just pressing enter multiple times.

However, I understand that different editors handle this behaviour differently and I can see why some users would want ‘enter on an empty block’ in a toggle to keep you in the toggle. I’ve just tested two different apps with two different behaviours.

In the meantime, I suggest that you press ‘up arrow’ and the enter again if you want to keep adding more empty blocks within a toggle.