So there’s a whole bunch of debates on Template v Type.
I would expect that a Type when you add relations to it not update the Template automatically (which is how Anytype behaves).
I would expect that if you add a Relation to a Type and then add it to a Template that it then show up on every object using that template (in the same way as a database form works - you update the form and then whenever you look at data with that form it shows the same layout to every piece of data). Anytype however works like an MS Word Template, once you make a Word document from a template that is the Word document, if you change the MS Word Template then new Word documents get that new template. In Anytype that seems wrong, but has been covered extensively elsewhere.
I assumed wrongly that if I create a Type, don’t add any Relations to it, but instead go to a new template and add Relations to it that these would then show up on the Type but it doesn’t.
There’s a lot of duplicated work associated with creating a Type:
- Create Type
- Add Relations
- Create Template
- Re-add the Relations to the Template
- Hope the Template is correct the first time
I was expecting that:
- Adding a Relation to a Type made the Relation available to everything related to that Type
- Adding an exising Relation to a Template makes that Relation available to every Object using that Template
- Adding a brand new Relation to a Template would add that Relation to the Type (and be visible on every Object made with that Template)
Otherwise there’s a lot of work just maintaining what you’ve put in.