(Re)ques[tions] about the anytype.community forum

Firstly, I have to admit that I didn’t really know in which area of the forum and as what I should formulate this issue and how. You will realise why during my explanations and I will come back to this later.
The starting point of my concern is my immediate impression of the graphical user interface and the associated functions of this forum, the anytype.community forum, during its use. For me, it is one of the most sophisticated forums in terms of the relationship between aesthetics and functionality that I have seen and used to date. Normally I don’t like using forums regularly because I don’t feel aesthetically comfortable in them. This is usually also linked to the fact that their functions are not very intuitive to use because their interrelationships are not always clearly visible on the user interface. This is a question of structuring and the anytype.community forum seems to be excellently structured in this comparison. So I feel exceptionally comfortable not only because of the people within the forum, but also because of its technical processing.
This circumstance led me to some questions and further considerations.

1. Who is responsible for the technical development of this forum, the anytype.community forum?
1.1 Is it exclusively Anytype?
1.2 Is it Anytype together with a third party?
1.3 Is it a third Party?

2. What is the technical base of this forum, the anytype.community forum?
2.1 Which programming languages were used to develop it?
2.2 Which libraries were used to develop it?
2.3 Which software were used to develop it?

3. Would Anytype be willing to open-source the forum code so that anyone can easily run their own forum in this aesthetically and functionally excellent way?

Now you can see that this topic can probably also be posted in the AnyHelp or Feature Requests area. But because it does not exclusively concern the community or the end product, but also Aytype directly and its by-product; and because it is not exclusively a request for a feature, but asks for information that is not yet immediately apparent; I have posted it under AnyDiscussion. This raises further questions:

4. In which area would you have posted this topic first?

  • Any Discussion
  • Any Help
  • Feature Requests
  • Other
0 voters

4.1 Should this topic also be posted in another area?

  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

4.2 In which area should this topic also be posted?

  • Any Help
  • Feature Requests
0 voters

I would be very happy to receive answers and may make another post regarding this in the Feature Requests area if that were necessary. Thanks in advance.

Sorry for being off-topic.

How on earth did you integrate these voting boxes in your posting?

I’ve sometimes the impression that my posting editor is somehow slimmed down compared with others, but maybe I’m wrong.

For me the editor looks so:

Has anyone more features?

I believe I saw it somewhere here that this forums is some kind of a premade forums software, just like SMF and phpBB.

UPDATE: I guess it’s https://www.discourse.org/

@Code-Jack
Use the cog icon:

Thanks for the very fast and valuable two answers to my questions 1.1 | 2.3 and 4! and the off-topic question from @Code-Jack .

It actually looks like “Disourse” is involved. Great hint!

It would be nice if someone from the Anytype Team could confirm this and answer the remaining questions. This specific Anytype-modified “Discourse” version to open source would be great.

Hi @Nitzgi That would be me, thanks for the kind works and your inquiries! This forum had a modest start, but I’m pleased that you find it enjoyable!


We indeed use Discourse but have built our own custom instance, which is optimized and updated regularly. We self-host our community forum on our production node, in a developer environment that give us the freedom to tweak, as well as write our own components and plugins, using Javascript, YAML syntax, CSS, etc. The aesthetic side of things are the result of our custom CSS theme (always a work in progress).


We’re going to add some fun new features and activities to the community forum this year, and once it gets really where I hope it to be, maybe we could open-source it. Never thought of it before :thinking:


If the subject or intent of a topic is not obvious (like a feature request or bug report), where it belongs can be somewhat of a grey area. Certain topics can also be open for interpretation and (re)categorization is often done after the fact by me or one of the moderators to keep the content sorted for our own purposes.

Just explore a bit, and read all the descriptions of each category. It can take some time to get familiar but I’m sure you’ll get the swing of it in no time.


Double-posting is not allowed, so it’s okay to pick a category and roll with it. If your topic gets shuffled around by the team, it’s no biggie, the notifications will link correctly to your post regardless.


Since you opened this topic up for discussion, it’s just fine here, but given your inquiry towards the team, I’m leaning toward Any Help (despite the reality that 99.9% of the time “help” inquiries are related to the Anytype app itself).

That’s generally the gist, if it’s up for community discussion post it in the discussion area, if it’s feedback, post it in the feedback section, and so on… :slight_smile: Just trust your instinct and we’ll sort it out if necessary.