Problems with Syncing & Data Loss after Updating (unwillingly) both accounts

Problems with Syncing & Data Loss after Updating (unwillingly) both accounts

WHAT IS THE BUG

After updating my Nightly Ops account (public & beta versions) & unwillingly my public account (only public version) to 0.31.1-beta I did encounter data loss multiple times on my public account of recently modified sets, pages, relations and tags. Sometimes it doesn’t save the changes. Sometimes it doesn’t create new lines etc. only after refreshing the page/set.
I suspect it’s a syncing problem. Even thought it shows the green dot and says it’s synced.

Questions:

Public vs. Nightly Ops account: :frowning_man: vs :ninja:
I don’t know why it’s possible to update my public account too. (I get asked to update it). I only want to put the Nightly Ops account through its paces and drive it into the ground from time to time.
On the public account I do store my important data.

Logging in & out: :old_key: & :key:
Do I have to change the versions on the Nightly Ops account before logging out and logging in the public account?

Back Up: :ring_buoy:
Is there a way to secure and store my data (eventually duplicate and export) on my device / external SSD?

Export & Import: :repeat:
Is it possible to export sets, pages etc. from one account and put it into another? I wold like to duplicate some date and put it into the Nightly Ops account to test it out…

HOW TO REPRODUCE IT

1. Go to Settings after working on sets, pages, relations and tags
  2. Click on Account & Data
  3. Log out of account
  4. Log in to other account and change again to first account.
  5. I was able to provide you a picture capture of the sync node, here it is:

Interestingly Anytype had the most problems syncing this page (Missing in Anytype vs. Notion). :joy:

THE EXPECTED BEHAVIOUR

Syncing normally and without Data Loss.

SYSTEM INFORMATION

macOS Ventura
  • Device:
    MacBook Pro 13“ 2017
  • Anytype Version:
    0.31.1-beta on both accounts :man_facepalming:

:person_raising_hand:t2: Would be very happy if someone could help me out here.

Hi @AnyChris, thanks for sharing your experience! That does not like the kind of testing and troubleshooting you want to do, even as a nightly tester.

Could you please share how you differentiate between the public and beta releases of Anytype? Do you have two separate accounts and you log out and in with the two accounts on the same install, or do you have two separate installations and you login with the same account? Or something else?

As far as I know, the two are separated in the way that:
0. The access to the pre-release channel is tied to your Anytype account (ANytype ID), not the installer itself

1. You install Anytype (public version)
  2. Login and configure Anytype to sign up to the beta / pre-release channel
  3. Wait for Anytype to receive a new pre-release build, and update
  4. A separate data folder will be used in the Anytype installation folder to make sure the data as stored for the public version (in case you reinstall such a version) is not messed up by the pre-release version and its data. This means that every time you change channel (public to pre-release or pre-release to public) the corresponding data folder will be used. It might therefore take a while before all changes are synced to the other folder, and certain things might never sync (properly). For example, a new feature like inline sets was not supported in the public version when it was being tested in the pre-release version, so Objects with inline sets in them created in the pre-release version would not properly work on the public version.
  5. I believe that upon logging out, the existing data is initially kept (not deleted) in case you login again with the same account. However, I thnk that when you login with a different account, that Anytype empties the data folder and pulls all new Objects.

I hope you can clarify what you exactly do with which account and which install. That should help us clarify what is going on (with help of the devs :slight_smile: ).

1 Like

Isn’t this another sync issue that most likely will be fixed with the new Anysync protocol like you replied to my post @sambouwer ?

When I read this post it feels very simular to my experience where sync has some issues (maybe because of a firewall?) and then items, pages and texts don’t get synced properly. Only to later show up again (creating duplicates or just re-appearing again).

For my experience it’s never really lost data, only slow to sync. All my “lost” data has always shown up at some point. Though that point could be months and a few updates later which isn’t that ideal. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Hi, @sambouwer, thanks for responding so fast! :smiley:

Clarification: :flashlight:

• I have 2 accounts with 2 different AnyIDs but same Email address.
  • The first account (= public account) is my first account, without the possibility to choose between the versions.
  • The second I created with the help of @Angelo (= Nightly Ops account) where you can choose the version (showed by your picture).
  • The data loss is not severe.
    It concerns some changes, but it’s very frustrating😤, annoying😖 & scary😰 because I do store relevant data on my public account, which I would not like to loose.
    I created for this reason the Nightly Ops account.

How it happens:

1. I do something in my public account & log out
  2. log in to *Nightly Ops account and do something there & log out
  3. log in to public account :rotating_light: some date loss of what I have done in (1.)

@Jeroen When I read this post it feels very simular to my experience where sync has some issues (maybe because of a firewall?) and then items, pages and texts don’t get synced properly. Only to later show up again (creating duplicates or just re-appearing again).

I experienced that too. Sometimes I have to reload a page / set to see the changes I just made …

Questions

What are your advices to save (where & how) my data securely?
Is it better (= more secure) to have only one account?

Back Up: :ring_buoy:
Is there a way to secure and store my data (eventually duplicate and export) on my device / external SSD?

Export & Import: :repeat:
Is it possible to export sets, pages etc. from one account and put it into another? I wold like to duplicate some date and put it into the Nightly Ops account to test it out…

:person_raising_hand:t2: Would be very happy if someone could help me out here.

1 Like

In the case you use this setup (separate accounts, but the same base install) I think the same data folder will be used for the public account and the Nightly Ops account, but I my when your Nightly Ops account is set to use the public version. I know the way the data is stored has recently changed for the pre-release versions, so maybe @Razor can explain better how data is stored for a single install but with two different accounts (one with access to the public version only, and one with access to both the public and the pre-release version).

It might be better to do two distinct installs under different MacOS user accounts, although I’m not 10p% sure whether that resolves the shared data directory issue.

I think the permission to select the pre-release is linked to the account, but once enabled linked to the local installation.

Not sure whether logging out and in with different accounts with different release versions is the best way. To be honest, I have only a single account and a single installation on my laptop.

You can backup the Anytype2 folder (work directory in Anytype menu).

Not yet, but this should become possible once the new infrastructure is ready for prime time as it will be a manual step to migrate from the current infra to a new account on the new infra.

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Many thanks for your answers! They helped!!! :smiley:
I made a backup, just in case future data losses will happen. :sunglasses:

Not yet, but this should become possible once the new infrastructure is ready for prime time as it will be a manual step to migrate from the current infra to a new account on the new infra.

As always I find myself talking to you, and knowingly or unknowingly requesting new features / functions for the app, for which the Anytype Team is working hard. :sweat_smile: :joy:

As always I will:

• cheer for every new update and test it immediately :partying_face: :nerd_face: (if you need a tester I am available)
  • honestly fill out any feedback questionnaire they send me :innocent:
  • hope for the best - I am rooting for the Anytype team :muscle:t3: :muscle:t3: :muscle:t3:
3 Likes

Hi @AnyChris, thanks for your kind reply! Although I’m not part of the Anytype team, I feel the love!

2 Likes