Organizing your AnyType?

One thing that keeps confusing me about AnyType is that objects are just “floating” and doesn’t necessarily live anywhere. In my head I need everything to live in a some sort of folder or have a certain path, to make me feel like it actually exists somewhere.

E.g. I’d like all my objects related to sound design to live in a sound design “folder”, so I know I can always start to dig through that folder, if there is something I cannot find. And when I e.g. create a new Collection I’d like to select where it actually lives, so if it is about tax, I’d like it to live in some sort of economy folder.

Am I approaching AnyType in the wrong way, or is this something other people feel or have a way to deal with? I guess I am curious about how people organize AnyType, to avoid that feeling of objects just floating freely.

1 Like

You could basically build a folder structure

• with /links or @mentions from pages to other objects, or
  • with collections pointing to other objects,

and thus create trees of folders that root in the sidebar.

To me this seems the recommended way to organize in Anytype.

1 Like

Collections can do a great job of what folders do.
Alternatively, sets are also a good option depending on the situation.
Organizing your favorite navigation paths into hierarchical dashboards is a great way to keep them handy.

1 Like

The way i would do it is is to go to library and create a new type called design. then create a new set dedicated to the design type.

alternatively if you want to use the same type for several different things you should use relations, like tags (push “/” in a note and scroll to the bottom).

the relations in my opinion is what is the best way to organise my notes when i have a lot of them, create relations like type, status, use numbers to create scores and priority and sutch.

Organisation in Anytype (or other type based tools) are a bit different compared to the traditional folder based organisation tools.

Because an object floats in your space it is very flexibel to organise. It doesn’t just life in a single space but can show up anywhere you want.

So, how to organise?

1. Manual linking- and using collections
Make objects as “folders” and manually add other objects with the @ or /link commands. Same can be done with a collection, which also requires manual linking and adding objects.

This gives you great insight what you place where but is very labor intensive and you might forget some objects are in your space.

2. Using types as “folders” and making sets based on type
I believe that the object type is most simular to traditional folders. An object can only have one type like a traditional file can only be in one folder.

Then you can make different sets based on the object type and viola, you have folders. The drawback is that you might want different object types in the same folder/set.

3. Use a relation to organise
You can make a relation and use that as a “folderr”. For example, you make a relation called Personal Life, you add this relation to any object you want, of any object type. You dont even need to fill in this relation but now you can create a set based on this relation and see any object you want.

Additionally, you can make the Personal Life relation a status relation and each status can be a “subfolder” if you will. So your Personal Life set just got more powerful and you can filter on the status for sub folder and organisation.

I really like this way of organizing in Anytype.

4. Using the tag relation
Another simple but powerful way to organise is to just use the tag relation. This is a default relation added to any object by default. Simply make tags for the “folders” you want, then make sets and filter on this tag.

The drawback is that you might want to use tags in another way and the tag relation gets messy and overwelming fast.

5. Creating new relations, types and templates
Well the last way is a combination of everything above which basically is building your own organisation method from the ground. If you beforehand sketch out how you want to organise you can build types with templates and relations to build up your system.

Then add sets, collections or any other means to organise that fit your style.

This is very labor intensive at the start and requires you to think ahead but might be worth it in the long run. Does require experiense with this type of applications to build.

Final advise, just start making a few objects, create a manual object as a folder and link anything and feel if it works. Create a set, based on a type of relation and see if that gives you insight in your objects.

Often times you only know what works by trying it out yourself and adjusting accordingly.

Also create a set for all objects, based on a relation like creation date that every object has. This can be the place to scroll true all your objects in Anytype.

3 Likes

Simple solution: creating a new Tag Relation for this purpose.
No need to overload one single Tag Relation with all kinds of Tags.