Objects in a collection are not backlinked to the collection

WHAT IS THE BUG

Objects in a collection are not backlinked to the collection

I will share the pictures via Telegram.

TECHNICAL INFORMATION

OS version: win32 x64 10.0.26200
App version: 0.54.11
Build number: build on 2026-03-24 15:27:50 +0000 UTC at #c5a40d8f6ff93ccdcdbf0f5487766cc5d54bdeb9
Library version: v0.49.0-rc08
Anytype Identity: AAmZKiFPhR7hyyEcmjLtkt3T4PqHgmFxLRGJF2mHQmBTjBE2
Analytics ID: 2c3a973c-0445-4791-87ea-7427fbdf887e
Device ID: 12D3KooWFPmuYj1g4mAAvQ8FUVPSiMgejkfJXBdCMGn9N5U9tNyu
Ethereum Address: 0xC249fFD27630c4FF74dcA28310Afba36c56A9D09

Thank you for your report. It’s been added to our tracker and will be looked into.

Please consider making this bug a priority. I have discovered the same problem months ago, but assumed that it is by design. Unfortunately, this prevents filtering by the items that belong to a collection and therefore makes collections in practice quite unusable. For example, if you want to keep content organized inside collections also grouped by e.g. a project the content belongs to, that content will show up outside a collection as well for any views filtering by project.

We are rebuilding/upgrading our Collections system (as seen here). Although I’m not entirely clear on your use case for Collections today, if you could see the new implementation and check if it suits your needs, that’d be good. Currently, backlinks are used primarily for linking across objects, not necessarily as a way to reference which collection it belongs to.

Thank you for your reply. I noticed that post, and I’m looking forward to the new design.

Could you please confirm that currently it is simply not possible to create a filter (in a view such as a list) that would filter objects based on whether they belong to a collection or not?

Thanks!

Dear @kaye , but as @czikus already asked, it must be possible to filter a Querie’s View for Objects that aren’t connected to a Collection!
That is (and was always) an often used feature; I can’t believe that the team is about to remove this option!?!

I’ve reported it as a bug on 20. February and there was some discussion with Filip about it. Seems he didn’t know about it and no other team member has given an answer.
I was in hope all the time that it soon becomes fixed …

Ok, I was unaware of this. Let me check in directly on what’s happening here.

Actually, this is a very important question indeed to know which object belongs to which collections.

If collections are the main mechanism to arrange objects, it should essentially be possible to query who belongs to whom.

Otherwise everybody will stick to the tags plus query search construction and nobody will use collections 2.0. :melting_face:

That’s why I asked for collections 2.0 as easy as tags.

Ok, I’ve double checked and it turns out that this was indeed a bug and should be coming back. Apologies for this.