Inline LaTeX made the app freeze

What’s The Bug?

A user did a copy-paste mishap in a space, the app froze. When I tried myself, same behavior : three dots for page loading, but could not go elsewhere. Had to kill the app using system tray. When reopening the app, I could check all pages, but opening the faulty one, the app froze once again.

I opened the console, and saw that it was probably related to LaTeX rendering: inline LaTeX due to multiple dollars in text.

I solved it by going on mobile where I knew LaTeX would not be supported, trash the faulty block and let it sync.

How To Reproduce It

  1. paste some context with dollars in it (I don’t have the original content though)
  2. let the app freeze

The Expected Behavior

LaTeX rendering should never make the app freeze. Maybe put it in a big try-catch block?

Also, what’s more likely to happen:

  • have some math formula inline
  • have a random string with multiple dollar signs

Additional Context

Trust is hard to gain, this kind of bugs wrecks it.

Device

Desktop

OS

Win 11

Anytype Version

0.45.3

Network Mode

AnySync

Technical Information

OS version: win32 x64 10.0.22631
App version: 0.45.3
Build number: build on 2025-02-17 15:22:27 +0000 UTC at #f1ceda0a1457dbf982d8b3fd8479ccdcb95df6d3 (dirty)
Library version: v0.39.11
Anytype Identity: A9bnUQCzKFrckVYhfuPH1qdijaMk6WdVEaGtJAShthKDyXzb
Analytics ID: a03dcce7-6e83-44b4-8ac1-67048d9a2350
Device ID: 12D3KooWQmjEADkczVf3eic7dnLpZ5aN1TJ8k2HBF92ZPN2w2xMe

Need an example formula, not reproduced in current main: