How can I create a Template? What are Templates used for?

Templates are a great way to get started with new objects. You can create a template from scratch or use one already included with Anytype

Types support multiple templates, so you could, for example, have templates for different tasks or systems like GTD and OKRs. Or different templates for different kinds of books, like academic, fiction, non-fiction.

Current template options:

• Choosing the layout.
      • Basic, profile, or action.
    • Featured relations.
    • Canvas blocks to build a visual structure.

Existing objects can be turned into templates using the ··· button.

I finally tried out this feature and was surprised to see that changes done to a Template are not reflected in the Objects created based on it.

If I create a Book Template and create a few book Objects based on it, I would then expect to have the option to edit the Template so that the changes are reflected in all Objects I has already created.

From what I understand, currently once I decide on a layout for a certain Type, I need to either stick to it for life, or manually reapply it to all existing objects whenever I want to tweak it. This seems very clunky… Unless I’m missing something!

Any plans on implementing the option of allowing changes to a Template to be automatically applied to Objects using it?

(I read a discussion related to this last week in the forum but couldn’t find it to link here… If anyone remembers where it is please let me know!)

4 Likes

This is the one that discussed about templates recently

1 Like

Thanks!

It’s kind of lost in the comments there.

I’ll see if I do a post (or more) focusing on a few of those points…

Thank you for your feedback, we share your opinion! First of all, we want to implement inline Sets and re-imagine templates after. We want to suggest templating covering whole use-cases not only single objects. We also consider implementing a different way of template applying, and changing the template after applying (similar to your logic) in further iterations :tada:

10 Likes

Nice! Good to know. And thank you for taking the time to reply here.

Sounds promising! I elaborate a bit on this here, if you are interested:

1 Like