These are my thoughts on Anytype. Anytype can be made even more powerful tool.
Currently app is more like notion and better, but it would be limiting to be notion-like.
Currently Anytype has a great database feature that is great than other apps out there which have or try to have. In short the anytype has MAJOR PLUSES in many areas sync, offline-first, encrypted, mobile apps , cross platform and mainly open source compared to existing app out there which checks some of the boxes but not all.
However currently it is kind of like Notion.
Workflow is currently more of structured like notion. With addition of Roam research outline way of writing will make anytype more powerful than any other app out there.
- Sets can be used as replacement for Zotero.
- With Roam research model, zettlekasten is easier to implement and maintain. You can write in the daily documents with indents and click a bullet to open like new page with breadcrumbs on top. And write like in a new page.
- The roam research’s bidirectional linking is the most intuitive way I found. I prefer roam research’s over Obsidian and Anytype. Reason is it is easier to know.
Anytype can be used to make organisation of a project in Notion like area. Like creating a project.
Why should Anytype bother adding Roam research into it?
- It reduces the number of app juggling for the user.
- User can use Anytype style of ipfs usage and no need to have duplicate files and here and there.
- Make Anytype more PKM and it bring multiple benefits in workflow mainly in thoughts and research.
- Serendipitous Outcome comes in the roam research which is currently in Anytype is not possible because of the design. Discovery is easier and more effective in roam like linked reference design.
- If current Anytype is a painted picture, bringing Roam research into Anytype will be like having the Palette with all the paint, created with mixing other paints to new one. Sometimes serendipity kicks in you can rework the canvas to make them more wholesome or better a masterpiece. Current Notion-like does not allow it.
My goal in proposing this is that Anytype be a tool to improve thinking and communicating them along with managing user empowering them to create a better world.
PS : Sorry for the long typing. I genuinely hope to know what is your thoughts.