File Deletion and Renaming Issue

I encountered a very frustrating issue while attempting to delete almost a hundred files/pictures to replace them with a renamed version. It takes six steps for each file (which is way to many steps) to get one properly deleted if it is shown in an object. After I deleted each file (properly, I havent emptied the bin each time though) I renamed the file in windows and pasted it back to Anytype were the previous picture were. However, upon completion, I realized that none of the files had been successfully renamed in Anytype. Instead of getting the desired result of deleting “picture 001” and replacing it with “dog playing,” I ended up with a duplicate of the “deleted” “picture 001” version. This experience was truly disappointing and resulted in a painful waste of two hours of my life just to do it now all over again (after I emptied the Anytype bin of course :wink: ) To summarize this differently it is not possible to rename files in Anytype nor is it possible to delete them first, rename them in windows and paste them back in to rename them. :exploding_head:

HOW TO REPRODUCE IT

  1. Download a picture you have in Anytype somewhere
  2. Delete the picture in Anytype
  3. Rename the Windows file
  4. Paste it back to Anytype

THE EXPECTED BEHAVIOR

If I delete a file, rename it and paste it to Anytype it should be the old file

ADDITIONAL INFO

Something I also dont like is even if a picture is delete perementanly it is still shown in the object as well as in the object history. Not even marked as deleted as in previous versions.

This bug report is still a problem on Debian. I deleted a file in Anytype. Renamed the file on Debian and put it back into. Anytype recognized the picture and gave it the old name. When I first deleted the bin in Anytype and I put the renamed version afterwards in it Anytype crashes now to the homepage when trying to open the image to see if it was renamed.
The question is why is Anytype still aware of files that are supposed to be gone?

SYSTEM INFORMATION

Windows 10
Version: 0.37.3

Another note regarding this issue: despite the fact that the pictures have been completely deleted (the trash bin is empty), Anytype still retains information about those pictures when I paste a renamed version. I am aware of this because it takes up to 10 seconds for the renamed pictures to appear in Anytype (which is quite a long time for simply pasting a picture). Conversely, pictures that I have never uploaded can be pasted in just a second.

Additionally, one picture has been completely deleted, renamed, and reuploaded, but it is now missing its file name. The file is simply labeled as “.jpg” instead of “playing dog.” I repeated those steps with different names of the file but without luck, it won’t show the file name.
.jpg

Additionally, one picture has been completely deleted, renamed, and reuploaded, but it is now missing its file name. The file is simply labeled as “.jpg” instead of “playing dog.” I repeated those steps with different names of the file but without luck, it won’t show the file name.

I couldn’t reproduce this one. I permanently deleted an image and reuploaded it with a different name. It properly showed the new name. I tested this with different file names and extensions.

There’s a feature request for renaming files, by the way, you might want to give it a vote.

It seems like this bug is only related to this one specific image. No matter how I rename it Anytype wont show the file only .jpg I cant share it here though since it seems to be processed somehow and isnt the original file anymore after uploading it.

This bug report is still a problem on Debian. I deleted a file in Anytype. Renamed the file on Debian and put it back into. Anytype recognized the picture and gave it the old name. When I first deleted the bin in Anytype and I put the renamed version afterwards in it Anytype crashes now to the homepage when trying to open the image to see if it was renamed. The question is why is Anytype still aware of files that are supposed to be gone?

This report has been added to our issue tracker and received by the Development Team.

This issue also occurs on version 0.39.0 on Debian. I attempted to upload the same picture, renamed with a different name, but Anytype still displays the old name. Even though I ensured to delete the file from the Anytype bin, I can’t upload it with the renamed version : ( Why does it still remember the old name? I noticed that files that are completely deleted (from the bin too) still remain in the object history. Is this intentional? Shouldn’t there be an option to truly get rid of files? I suppose this might be related to the issue.

I also tried to delete the whole object (from the bin too) which means the file is deleted, the object is deleted, no object history and the bin was emptied. I upload the image and its not the correct file name. Still the old one. :exploding_head: Even making a copy of the image first (which means a new file) it doesn’t work. Its still the same old name from the other picture. If someone finds out a work around please let me know.

The issue persists. I pasted an image into Anytype, but it ended up with a completely different file name than expected. This image had been previously uploaded with a different name, and even though I deleted it, Anytype seems to remember the original file name. When I re-upload the same image with a new name, it still shows up with the old name. It’s quite strange. Anytype is retaining metadata from deleted files.

This bug is still there. I uploaded an image on windows, renamed it on windows and uploaded it again and it shows the old file name somehow. I cant upload the image with its new file name.