It depends from what you do with Anytype. Or what you have in mind to do.
I want to use it not only for private things. I want to use it in my business, for knowledge management, for managing business contacts and much more.
For 10 years I used OneNote excessively (beside other programs off course), but it never fulfilled my needs.
Therefore I was looking for an Alternative.
One after one, all the possible alternatives flew out of the contest. Often because of cloud and privacy issues.
Anytype was the winner in some key points from importance.
It was hyped in some videos, so I looked deep, full of hope.
But testing it, I wasn’t so happy. This was in the beginning of November 2003.
Many things was cumbersome. Many other things was buggy. The use concept for hard to grasp in the first weeks.
The use concept was clear after 4-6 weeks (a bit long, compared to other software). Also some bugs was fixed in meantime and new features came.
BUT:
Anytype is till today still not ready for a use in business!
– No, it isn’t. No way around it.
Not even with a lot compromises.
Nevertheless I often write: “I’m in love with Anytype”.
In Germany that’s a normal phrase. “Ich liebe Anytype!”
But if I use such a strong word as “love”, then I can’t ignore that it doesn’t fulfill my needs.
There are long lasting bugs like the thing with Creation Date. And there are missing basic features.
A private person may can live with it as it is, hoping for updates.
But for business uses you simply can’t live with it. See my post here.
The bad thing is, that there is no light in sight. There even was no reaction from the devs to my thread about solving the problem with Creation Date since five months!
This thread here is about “What’s your dealbreaker with Anytype”.
Although I use it every day, I say what one can call a “dealbreaker”:
Something like this. And the other points I mentioned.
I stay with Anytype because I love it. It is somehow addicting.
But I can’t use it in my business for the things I was looking for.
If someone is not “in love” or “addicted”, he wouldn’t spend as many words as I do.
He would simply deinstal it … and use anything else. ![]()
But I stay.
Still hoping. Although I can’t see light on the tunnel’s end.
This is why I wrote that my program differs.
It’s complexity is comparable. But it has no sync (expect with a cash register).
But it has a lot features Anytype hasn’t.
And by the way: I use encryption in my software, for communication with a POS scale.
Made by hand in Visual Basic. It is possible, if you do it by hand.
You can write “Visual Basic isn’t proper to do that”. But if you do things by hand (even bitbanging if necessary) you can do everything. There even is a small routine in Assembler included, for more speed.
I have had programming experience since years as I started the project, but it was my first project in Visual Basic.
If I was able to do such a huge project all alone, then a real software engineer could clearly do much more in three years! Not to speak what a team could do.
Therefore I can’t grasp why some basic things are still missing.
They sometimes say it was five years.
If I remember correct, it was even mentioned in the software history.
I’me here for more then half a year. In this time has happen a lot! Great steps forward!
But the nagging, really needed, basic things are persisting.
No matter how importend they are, the team prefers all kind of other stuff.
– That’s what I call a dealbreker.
– And this is why I wrote: “a nice young lady, but her feet are a bit stinky and she nearly never cleans her teeth.”
This thread is for feedback.
I do nothing more than speaking out what the dealbreakers are.
And I hope my parables get to the heart of the matter.
All bedding and bringing arguments for this and that feature did seemingly not get to the heart of the matter. Therefore my parables.