Existing Open Window(s) Close Upon Relaunch

WHAT IS THE BUG

Launch (relaunch) of the Anytype app (v0.56.5 on macOS 26.6.2) results in any existing open window(s) from previous session to show for about a second, and then immediately close.

HOW TO REPRODUCE IT

Outline the steps needed to reproduce the behavior in sequence:

  1. With Anytype open, with at least one window open, quit Anytype.

  2. Relaunch Anytype.

  3. Any window(s) open from the previous session will open for about a second and then immediately close.

  4. Any attempt to open the closed window will fail.

  • Note that this occurs on first launch after restart as well.

THE EXPECTED BEHAVIOR

Launching or quitting & relaunching should result in any window(s) that were open from the previous session to reopen.

ADDITIONAL CONTEXT

If further context, people, or related Bug Reports need to be mentioned, do so right here.

TECHNICAL INFORMATION

Provide your setup info:
Desktop: Top Menu > Help > Tech Info
OS version: darwin arm64 26.6.2
App version: 0.56.5
Build number: build on 2026-08-12 14:32:15 +0000 UTC at #715a9f9761bd497aa94f12db9a7bb9f0d35f243c
Library version: v0.51.0-rc1
Anytype Identity: A6usAu8bNdawqqmbyHcoXDF3fi18oitoQJk7yPbu1zhg7Gs1
Analytics ID: e1473d35-0556-4927-bd7b-c10335c6f244
Device ID: 12D3KooWDwnTfGJe2634ajrCp4WeR6jGiSLkMtycG681oxgpJsy8
Ethereum Address: 0x0cb1de706C78A25703C2BA6f090e3BdF7cff47b2

Thanks for reporting this. For the previous session window that opens, is the object/content viewable or is it just that the window itself opens. It’d be great to capture this on a screenshot/recording if possible.

@kaye the window(s) open and close very quickly, about a second, just a flash. I will try to capture a video of it. If I remember correctly, I noticed it for the first time in 0.55.x. But it also could have started after I upgraded macOS to Tahoe. Ever since it started occurring, the fix has been the same. Quit Anytype, relaunch, and then the previously open window(s) open up fine. It just needs that second round of relaunch.

@kaye I apologize for the delay, but (thankfully), I have not had the issue appear again. The issue used to occur the first time I launched Anytype after my Mac restarted. It would not happen just by quitting and relaunching Anytype, in fact, that was my workaround/fix. My Anytype version doesn’t appear to have changed, it is still v0.56.5. My macOS has been updated a couple of times and is now at macOS 26.7. At this point I can only conclude that a macOS update resolved the issue. I will post here if it ever shows up again. Thanks.

@kaye : I understand that this issue has been marked solved, but I wanted to add some additional insights. I had restarted my Mac this morning, and the issue in Anytype occurred again. I wasn’t prepared to capture the screen in video, but I was watching more closely. When I launched Anytype, I could see (2) window outlines show up in the bottom two corners of my main display. I use Moom to set custom window size and position, which is typically in the bottom third of the left and right half of the screen for Anytype. However, I also use ‘Spaces’ on Mac to separate my personal/freelance work from my full-time job work. I frequently have an Anytype window open in both Spaces (personal & work), but rarely do I have two Anytype windows open in any one Space. The launch behavior makes me wonder if on launch, Anytype was trying to consolidate windows from the two Spaces, did so, but then decided it wasn’t sure if that was truly recreating the previous pre-restart state, and then closed them. That is what the behavior looked like was happening. This time, I also investigated more into how to recover. Typically, I would just quit Anytype, relaunch, and the problem would be solved. This time, I explored and discovered that the Window > New Window worked, and a new window showed up fine, without needing me to restart Anytype. That is an even simpler and faster workaround. I think this issue can remain as solved, I just wanted to add that additional info, even if its just for my memory of what this was and how to deal with it. Thanks.

Thanks for sharing this info. I’ve also noticed some strange behaviour that relates to Stage Manager on macOS, but it’s hard to diagnose if this is an issue from Anytype or an macOS thing. Nonetheless, thanks for sharing.