Custom Icons for Custom Objects in Library

WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND

Adding images to object library pages when creating custom objects

HOW COULD IT BE DONE

Similar to updating objects with uploading custom images.

REAL WORLD USE CASES

There are way more icons in the world than emojis. The ability to upload custom icons to custom objects in the library would be an added enhancement to provide icons for custom objects in the library.

RECOMMENDED ALTERNATIVES

Updating the emojis menu with an expanded icon library so that users have more options than emojis.

ADDITIONAL CONTEXT

As a user, I like to be able to identify an object by an icon. Emojis lack in supplying a diverse set of icons for symbols in an environment (traveling, writing, business, production, etc.) Since we can add custom images to objects already, it would be nice if this was also available in the object library.

Thanks @peet.hannah and welcome to the Community!

Nice feedback, I’ve forwarded it to the team :slight_smile:

WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND

Uploading images as icon when creating a new object type.

New object type icon options

Normal object icon options

HOW COULD IT BE DONE

Just implement the upload image function for object types I guess

REAL WORLD USE CASES

Its nice having objects, sets, objects types and templates with a similar icon (own uploaded picture)

WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND

Currently the ability of icon choosing for objects is limited to:

  • If you are creating a type in the library you can only choose the emoji for the icon
  • If you are changing an icon for the created object with layout “basic” you can choose both emoji and custom image
  • If you are changing an icon for the created object with layout “profile” you can choose only the custom image

I would like to see this implemented uniformly across Anytype and to give us a choice of using both emojis and custom images everywhere.

HOW COULD IT BE DONE

The implementation should be the same as it is now, since the ability to choose both emojis and custom images for icons already exists when you create an object.

REAL WORLD USE CASES

Once the ability to delete default pre-created types is here, I would like to add a lot of my own types which are more specific than the general ones that already exist and emojis are not enough to create a distinction between the types. I like to have the ability to control what my type looks like by adding any custom image for its icon.

Good request. Not a deal breaker for me, but as I prefer flat icon designs, I find myself replacing emoji/profile icons all the time. I’ve been wondering why the selection isn’t automatically converted for android users, and if there’ll ever be a way to replace Library emojis so my icons’ styling look consistent.

Custom icons support

Anytype could support custom icons either via icon fonts like Font Awesome or Boostrap icons and preferably also custom svg icons.

HOW COULD IT BE DONE

There could be a custom menu to insert these symbols (icon fonts, favourited Unicode symbols or custom ones)

REAL WORLD USE CASES

When I take notes for school on paper, I often use my own symbols to make the notes shorter and easier to scan and it’s a big reason why I take most notes still on paper.

RECOMMENDED ALTERNATIVES

Some of these can be done by using emojis or unicode symbols, but I encountered rendering issues with them in at. and I have some symbols which I didn’t find a character replacement for. If I do, I still have to search for them in KRunner and insert them into Anytype every time. When I’m transferring my paper notes now I usually make a Figma file with components (and can have more complex layouts), but having these symbols in Anytype would enable me to have everything in one place.

Hello @aronkvh we have a project for more customisability in Anytype. But we will start to work on it after initial release because we want to ship existential functionality first. I added your request to this project we will start it after public release.

I hope this is still considered, custom icons are important. I have been using apps with custom icons or no icons at all, while in anytype, you have to use the default emojis which cannot be removed, changed or hidden.

+1 for implementing Custom Icons for Custom Types.

One of the main features I ADORE in Anytype is being able to create custom objects types (beyond pages, tasks, bookmarks, etc).

I’m a bit confused why we’re able to upload custom icons for individual objects but not for Object Types. For whatever reason, this is currently limited to Emojis. Please add this fucntionality!