Ability to select multiple blocks by clicking and dragging (holding SHIFT)

Currently in order to select a few consecutive blocks I need to click on the first (to place the cursor), hold SHIFT, then click on the last (I can also do the same but inverted, from last to first). That is useful sometimes.

However I’d like to be able to also just hold SHIFT (I explain why below), then click and drag the mouse across the blocks I want to select.

The reason I’d like this to require the SHIFT modifier is that, in my opinion, clicking and dragging without SHIFT should select partial text:

1 Like

I think SHIFT as a modifier makes sense for the behavior you describe. I think it needs a bit more thought though on how this could conflict with other text selection key combinations and drag and drop behavior. I’ll think about this a bit later :slight_smile:

Yeah, it’s so complicated to make things simple!

All I can do is describe the experience and expectations from the my side, as a user. How to make this work in practice, and taking into account everyone else’s feedback… What a task :flushed:

1 Like

Keep doing that! And, if possible, please take the little bit of extra time needed to write posts according to the format when possible. It’s a difficult choice between allowing feedback in any format with the risk of missing information or having low quality topics, and only allowing the pre-defined format with the risk of losing out on users that have the time to submit feedback in their own format…

I do always start by using the template. But quickly I feel it doesn’t fit the structure. I find myself trying to make up stuff to write, or spend a lot of time trying to word my post to match the template…

@sambouwer I had another go writing this same FR but using the Template. Here’s the result. Comments in italic! Let me know what you think.

WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND

Ability to select multiple blocks by clicking and dragging (holding SHIFT) → Redundant, as title already states that

HOW COULD IT BE DONE → I end up just explaining it all here

Currently in order to select a few consecutive blocks I need to click on the first (to place the cursor), hold SHIFT, then click on the last (I can also do the same but inverted, from last to first). That is useful sometimes.

However I’d like to be able to also just hold SHIFT (I explain why below), then click and drag the mouse across the blocks I want to select.

The reason I’d like this to require the SHIFT modifier is that, in my opinion, clicking and dragging without SHIFT should select partial text:

→ note the link above can’t go into the “ADDITIONAL CONTEXT” section, as it’s crucial for the FR

REAL WORLD USE CASES

Another way to select multiple blocks. → This seems very obvious considering the above.

@qualquertipo thanks for giving this a go! I’ll post this reply publicly as this might be useful for other community members, too:

Title and WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND are often very similar, but the title should be kept short for readability, and the WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND section provides some space to give a more detailed explanation. The scope of this section is to describe the “WHAT” only, as you can explain HOW in the section below.

As you comment, the HOW COULD IT BE DONE section usually contains the meat and potatoes of the request. This is where you give your suggestions on how to implement or achieve your request or fix the bug (for a Bug Report).

REAL WORLD USE CASES allows you to give some examples of the method you described in the HOW COULD IT BE DONE section. Sometimes it just helps to tell the same story again, but with slightly different words to get your thoughts and ideas across :).

Overall, I think you submitted an excellent feature request! I think for future requests you can write the exact same content, but just restructure it to fit in the (relevant) pre-defined sections.

Thanks again for taking the time, I know you and many others already need to go out of their way to contribute to this forum, which is highly appreciated by the team!

1 Like

@qualquertipo Check it out. Is your request is done in the latest release please.

2 Likes

Partially!

I can select multiple blocks by clicking and dragging, which is great. Thank you for that!

However there is still no way to select partial text across multiple blocks. If I start the selection within the text, I want the selection to start at that point. Similarly, if I end the selection within the text of another block, that’s where I want the selection to end. To me, a modifier (SHIFT perhaps?) should be necessary for the above actions to be interpreted as block level selections (as they are now).

In other words, I want to make a selection like this (image below from Notepad++):

But if I do the same thing in Anytype, I get this":