Why I'm leaving AnyType

It is like performing on stage as a musician or actor, if the technique of light or sound is crap, your art can be as good as one imagine, however, it won’t reach the audience and they will blame the artist for that.

So here, you are the artists and I admire your work. Kudos to the team!

Glad the hotspot fixed it. FortiGate firewalls do exactly this kind of TLS inspection, which matches what we saw in the logs.

On Markdown: we have zero intention of locking anyone in, and we’re not asking you to wait for someone to write an importer. Markdown export is there today and we keep improving it. It writes GitHub-flavored Markdown (tables, task lists, strikethrough, fenced code), standard relative links between notes ([Title](Note.md), not [[wikilinks]]), toggles as HTML <details>, math as $$ blocks, and properties as YAML frontmatter with a JSON Schema for each type. Every app reads its own flavor of Markdown, and we don’t have the resources to test imports into every possible PKM app. That’s where gaps like the ones you hit come from.

The open, documented and lossless format is the other half. With LLMs you don’t need to read the spec or write code. You can ask an AI agent to convert the export into whatever your next app expects. Converters like Jimmy, which you found, and kamryn’s anyMD above exist because the format is open.

Meanwhile we’re adding export options to the UI, such as turning off YAML frontmatter and choosing whether to export types, and we’ll keep improving Markdown import and export. Clear reports help most: what you exported, what you expected to see in the other app, and what you got instead.

Good luck with Trilium, and thanks for the feedback.

Ok, I give up. I tried moving to Obsidian to avoid waiting for software that is back in Alpha stage. But no, it doesn’t meet my needs. Plain folder and markdown file structure are not suitable for me. I want pages and databases (collections). I don’t want to install 999+ plugins for any feature.

So Anytwo, you won…

This is such professionalism, and such a good answer, that I have to highlight it. I don’t have the issue the OP has, but when I read this, it brings calm and peace of mind.

Thank you @kaye … I don’t know the Company internals, but from a user only, to me, you were the best thing that happened to Anytype. Who knows where we would be at if you were on the team from the start.

On the other side of things, this is pure gaslighting, and even not having the issue of the OP, just pisses me off. It also makes me not want to say anything here.

No, this is not like getting a car as a present, and the last thing you want to read when in a stressfull, very emotional situation like the OP, is a lame analogy that has nothing to do with it.

Instead, to the OP, all I can say is: the Team is here to help, whatever the issue is, they will do their best to solve it, as shown by @kaye and @requilence !!! You can trust them!

Sorry that you see it so, @sturdily , but my analogy has very well to do with the OP’s issue (his third point in the stat post):

Let’s soak it in what he complains about:
He wants to continue using Anytype; and the introduction of AnyTwo stresses him; he isn’t willing to relearn what he already knows.

What to say?
If someone is used to ride his rusty old bike, it stress him when he suddenly gets the possibility to use a new car (instead of the old bike OR in addition)??!??!?
– For me, it doesn’t make sense to be unhappy about an additional (and potentially better) possibility.

He can still use his rusty old bike; no one forbids that.
But the fact is, the old bike is too shabby and worn out, it is de facto impossible to repair it to such a shiny new looking appearance that it would fulfill all his dreams.

– But yes, Kaye is a better communicator then I am, that’s true.

To be honest, initially I was also deeply uneasy about the entire project – an app seemingly caught in an endless loop of reboots, with AnyTwo starting all over from Alpha while Anytype hasn’t even reached a stable release. That is truly terrifying for anyone looking for a safe harbor to store their data (which, I believe, is one of the most compelling reasons people choose Anytype over cloud-based alternatives in the first place). And while I must admit I’m genuinely impressed by AnyTwo – confessing that what it showcases comes closest to what I actually need – trading away data safety for that? Probably not.

However, seeing the team in action, I feel like a good part of that lost peace of mind has returned. Both the exemplary way @kaye engages with the community and how @requilence deeply understands the issues, resolves them so swiftly, and explains technical concepts with such clarity have really impressed me. It makes me genuinely believe you have a fantastic team behind this. If AnyTwo launches on schedule and actually delivers on what was shown in the demos, I think I’ll be migrating very early on, and I won’t hesitate to recommend it to everyone I know.

The vision this project is striving for is truly inspiring, and I wholeheartedly want to support the project and see you succeed. I really look forward to the future where that vision becomes a reality.

No, your analogy is not about getting a new car at 18, but giving a Ferrari to a 12 year old (AnyTwo isn’t ready yet, and a “migrate at a click of a button” also does not exist yet).

And you gaslight the situation with “about being willing to learn” when the OP has debugged, has tried tools to help him, and even another platform, was in fact willing to learn FROM SCRATCH another tool.

This only makes this community seem like a cult (and I should say, I was accused of being a fanboy some years ago. I didn’t understood it at the time, but do now).

Thankfully… the team’s response was perfect, and that is all that matters.

Dear @sturdily I’m open for constructive critic and always willing to learn.
But I find it not fair if you call it “gaslighting” what I wrote.

The user has a list of this three critic points in his start post:

  1. Data Export Quality
  2. Prioritization of AI Features
  3. The AnyTwo Transition

An in my post where I brought the parable with the old bike, I wrote a list with three answers to each of the original three points.

There is no doubt that his first point in the list is valid!
I’ve admitted that in my post. But again: this critic point is only relevant for the old Anytype.
For AnyTwo the team has already announced that they have recognized it and that they will do something general here – but only for AnyTwo.
So, there is a dead end with Anytype. A migration (new car) would help.

His second point is IMHO bullsh*t. And I have explained why I see it so.

And his third point in the list is the one where I think opposite to him.
If he isn’t willing to learn an “entirely new workflow” (he has even underlined this term in his post), then it is his personal thing.
He shouldn’t blame the team for the attempt to make things finally better – what brings with it some changes in the concept how to use the (new) App.

What on earth is the team supposed to to?
They simply can’t repair Anytype.
And if they could, it would come with some news in the GUI; that requires that the users are willing to learn new things.

IMHO he’s exaggerating if he calls it “an entirely new workflow” and states, that this " is the straw that broke the camel’s back" (this was his words!)

– If that is his mindset, then no one could ever help him.
I read deep frust out of his start post that has more to do with him himself then with the circumstances. And after his second post, I gave him up. Hopeless.

Again: what on earth is the team supposed to do for easing his pain?
– Razor isn’t there anymore. The other devs sit there with an Anytype that’s full of flaws that no one could ever repair.
After thinking a lot what to do, they came to the conclusion to make everything new, everything better, everything ready for future.
– But yes, it confronts the users with the need to migrate (impossible to avoid that) and to learn the new and much better concepts.

Someone who in general doesn’t like that, must still use Windows 3.1 (or a rusty old bike). That’s how the things are.

When you start the reply like that, I know I am too busy to read the rest.
Don’t take offence, I know you are just euphoric and excited, that is GREAT!

Cheers, lets not derail completely this topic, and it was not my intention. I hope all good!

And now you’ve left me completely at a loss:
I don’t understand what it is you don’t like about my introduction.

It seems we can’t come on a common denominator in the fraction, especially if this introduction is putting you off reading the rest of what I have to say.

– No bad feeling, have a nice day.