Add extra security layer when deleting spaces

Hi!

I just deleted a testing space and thought it might be a good idea to put another safety layer in front of it…

  1. klick delete (as already implemented)
  2. Are you really sure? (as already implemented)
  3. type in the name of the space.

I think that would work like a speedbumb.

Have a good one.

I agree it’s far too easy to delete spaces, and that typing in the name of the space is the best way to avoid accidental deletions. It can be implemented purely in the client, so it’s hopefully a simple, quick addition to make.

In principle, this will be integrated into a future version (it’s in the current code).

like a toggle ‘‘i am sure that i want to do this’’? if yes, that’s nice cause i’d prefer it u.u

Perhaps we could remove the delete button at space/sidebar. Going to general setting or individual space’s setting gives it a bit more friction.

But I am not really concerned about this issue.

This is absolutely essential. Just a simple type “DELETE” to delete will do the job. 2 clicks to delete can be done accidentally by a cat, a child or some other freak accident. When it comes to potentially 5-10 years of notes based work this is not ideal.

Added to the plan.

Thank you for adding this to the plan.

But I don’t know how to feel about this being only as a reaction to the Local Lovers space getting accidentally deleted, it’s as if if the Local Lovers space didn’t get accidentally deleted, this wouldn’t have been added to the plan. I appreciate the transparency, but I don’t know how to feel about features getting considered only when it directly affects the developers and not because it is something that is crucial to have.

This request was made 1.5 years ago and would have dawned on anyone at that time that this is quite important, but only gotten considered 1.5 years later after this accidental incident by the people behind Anytype. This gives me a strange feeling. I wonder what other features are there that is a no-brainer to implement and that people actually want and benefits everyone, but is being ignored just because the developers aren’t affected by it.


Edit to add some more suggestions and thoughts:

This is a good question to have people be think a little before deleting something. However, how the copy is written makes a difference. Something like “Are you sure?” is good, but not as good as a toggle lie checking “I understand that this is irrevocable” will wake people up and pay attention more.

Here is an example of what Pocket has which is also a good copy to use. Only after acknowledging they know it’s permanent that the button becomes clickable and they can proceed with deleting their bookmarks.

I think that typing in the name of the space is better than typing in “DELETE”, as the action of typing in the space name will hit the user harder if it was a space that they should not be deleting. Just typing “DELETE” doesn’t help for someone that isn’t paying attention enough.

So from @thePauker’s suggestion and with the additional suggestions:

  1. Want to delete space
  2. Toggle an acknowledgement something along the lines of “I understand this will delete the space (maybe even use the space’s name here) and that it is permanent”
  3. Type in the name of the space before being able to click on delete.

If you want people to migrate their whole second brain into Anytype and use Anytype for decades these additional steps are not overkill, they are necessary so people don’t accidentally delete 20 years of second brain/PKM notes they have in Anytype. What you’ve experienced with the accidental removal of the Local Lovers space isn’t even that bad as that space is only about a year old, as opposed to an Anytype veteran user’s second brain decades down the line.