What are your network configurations?

Hello, Anytypers!

We got a few issues related to uncommon network configurations and topologies that prevent Anytype from being used. Can you please share your network setup and configuration (especially un-common), so we can understand what works and what doesn’t?

The main goal is to help others solving network issues and get all the data for fixing Anytype network bugs.

There is one configuration that seems not working for now:

Openwrt soft routing, using openclash for bypassing

The configuration file setuped to identify BT traffic based on uncommon port numbers to prevent it from going through a proxy. 

More data will be added later

I am currently using Adguard on Windows to block domains parallelly. I have a VPN service that runs on my raspberry pi along with IPFire as a firewall. To date, I have not had any issue with the Anytype service.

With Portmaster Version 0.6.18 for Windows it automatically blocks “api.amplitude.com

1 Like

@IndianaRoy It is considered as an analytics api so most ad blockers and firewalls block it by default

1 Like

Mobile hotspot (android) WITHOUT internet, notebook (linux) connected to. Not syncing :frowning:

2 Likes

@wemiprog what do you mean, are you using anytype without internet on mobile with hotspot turned on and your notebook is connected to the hotspot and you are trying to sync both devices offline.

2 Likes

I use wireguard VPN in my phone (mullvad) and direct internet connection in my Desktop client (Linux). With this topology I’m experiencing synch issues for all the docs written from my Desktop client.

So:

Desktop->phone: Sync issues

Phone->Desktop: Sync works fine

1 Like

IPv4 dns is set to Quad9 (9.9.9.9) in router

Blokada vpn is active in mobile

I had syncing issues earlier but it was because of firewall settings.

I removed settings and allowed the necessary ones and

Don’t have any issues so far

1 Like

@div3xi exactly this one

Its one of my favorite features but doesn’t yet work

@wemiprog I’d love this feature of anytype as well but doesn’t seem to work for me too. Even if both the devices are in the same network, anytype prefers to sync them through the cafe node? Having them open on the foreground in both the devices and making changes in any of them updates in the other pretty quicky (~ 3-5s). However, if one is down when the changes are made and comes up, it prefers to sync through the cafe node even when the other device is already up in the same local network. Making the sync local in this situation should reduce the delay.

However, I’m not sure if this is the intended behavior, and if not, not sure if this goes as a feature request or a bug fix.

1 Like

@lynxlove

@Vova

Anything from the team to this topic?

Android hotspot, desktop client, without internet access?

1 Like

@lynxlove

The overal delay may be due to the fact that the exchange of info on already existing objects does not occur immediately. When you work offline the app trying to find known peers broadcasting the update request message first, after finding one being online → trying to establish connection for online interactions. And there is a delay between attempts. After that the difference between loading from a backup server and over a local network is minimal

@wemiprog

We need to change discovery mechanisms for such network topology, if the research confirms the possibility of that.

2 Likes

@Vova Thx for your reply, do you already know when you will be working on this (discovery mechanism?)

If not possible, Id be ready to manually type in the IP once per network (or after a IP change), main thing for me is that it works :slight_smile:

Well, i want to use it on my work computer as well and i’m allowed to install stuff but i need to set proxy. I made already a post but it seems nobody has/wants to use anytype at work :smiley: https://community.anytype.io/t/-/2242

2 Likes

@natrius just backed-up your request.
Also, with regards to this topic, my work computer is behind a GlobalProtect VPN that prevents the sync from happening. I don’t know how to be more specific on this, as I am definitely not a expert of networks

2 Likes

I alternate between a pocket wifi (connects through data/hotspot on android, a “Home network”) and a wifi with modem. No VPN or other custom settings in Windows except for allowing Anytype through firewall.

In the beginning, syncing is selective but most of it syncs if I wait for hours/days. After a couple of reinstalls due to bugs/crashes, older contents don’t sync except for the pre-installed Notes set (the actual notes inside are gone) and the page linked to the profile photo in Home.

Hi
@sambouwer told me in Topic Search a solution to solve sync problem in win 10 I should share my network setup here.

Situation

I use Android Smartphone,
combined with macbook Pro Notebook,
and an Eve V (kind of cheap surface clone)

Problem

The sync between Android and Mac OS is quite smoove and fast.
Sometimes there is a gap between the synced status about 20-60 secs.
But the sync between Android to Win 10 or ViceVersa AND also the Sync between Mac OS and Win 10 is kathastrophical.

Network-stuff

All connected to the same Wi-Fi network. On my Windows machine I have no custom firewall settings.
There is only Bitdefender running (free AntiVirus) without an firewall.

Assumption

Also I guess it has nothing to do with connection-problems at all.
Because the «problematic nodes/objects» are created most of the time in the android-app.
The mac os App is syncing fine to those new objects.
The win App is recognice some differences, because the linked objects have a line and an endless rotating sync-arrows.
Also if I mark them as «favorite» in the Dashboard the «new» object get’s an pulsing grey (dark-mode) square.

So there can not be a firewall who is blocking the sync. Otherwise Win App would not recognice «some differences» and would start/try to sync.

Wish

Maybe there is some other network stuff, that I do not know, because I’m not a network-guy. So it would be great and very helpfull, if you could recommend some tools to collect all the for your debug neceessary settings, ports, firewall-stuff so we can (also as Network unprofessionals) collect and hand over you the important and vital stuff.

Best regards
Martin

1 Like

This issue appears to be still unresolved.

Anytype prompts that Selecting profile... can't run service 'anytype': add replicatorAddr attempts exceeded
And related openclash log should be

22-07-24 19:21:22
info
[Script] not common port use direct

22-07-24 19:21:22
info
[TCP] 192.168.5.214:11974 --> cafe1.anytype.io:4001 using DIRECT by Script

22-07-24 19:21:23
warning
[TCP] dial DIRECT to 54.93.109.23:4001 error: dial tcp4 54.93.109.23:4001: i/o timeout

After closing the proxy it’s fine. Then after logging in and then turning on the proxy, the synchronization fails. Sometimes it can be successful. Very unstable. The synchronization between devices on the local area network is normal.