Visually differentiate between empty and non-existent value for a Relation

WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND

I like that Anytype allows showing in the same Set objects that don’t necessarily share all the same Relations. In the example below, I have a Projects Set showing my paintings and sculptures. Both project types have Tags, Creation date and Materials used, but only sculptures have Weight.

It’s great that Anytype doesn’t automatically add the Weight Relation to the painting objects (though it does suggest it, which is very cool).

The problem is I have no way to tell the differentiate between an empty Relation and a non-existent one.

HOW COULD IT BE DONE

Maybe show a faint “-” whenever the Relation doesn’t exist, like this:

REAL WORLD USE CASES

To know if the Relation exists or not for each Object from looking at Set view.

3 Likes

@qualquertipo thanks for your suggestions! These would definitely improve the software! Should we differentiate between these four states?

1. Relation is not connected or added to or an Object (maybe show a faint x?)
  2. Relation is connected to the Object but it is not added to the canvas (maybe show a faint x, too)
  3. Relation is connected to the Object and added to the canvas but has no value (maybe show a faint - dash here?)
  4. Relation is connected to the Object and added to the canvas and has a value (here we obviously show the value ;))

At least right now I don’t see reason to differentiate between Relations added or not to canvas. But I can understand it being useful for someone else.

Maybe to keep it simple do the way I said as default, but give user option to enable the more nuanced icon you suggested.