Viewing templates as types for creating and sorting objects

This is a broader and more encompassing application of a feature suggestion I made on this forum.

WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND

I recommend that sets be created by template, not just by type. If a set is created by type, I further recommend an option to allow the set to be sorted or filtered by template.

HOW COULD IT BE DONE

The type menu for creating sets should include templates so sets could be created based on templates. Also, the menus for sorts and filters for a set based on a type should include templates for that type as parameters.

REAL WORLD USE CASES

The Human object can include several templates, such as “Client”, “Colleague”, “Friend”, etc. It would be good to be able to sort or filter a set of Human objects based on the template used, i.e., grouping together clients, colleagues, and friends. In other cases, for ease of access I might want to create separate sets for my clients, colleagues, and friends.

RECOMMENDED ALTERNATIVES

None.

ADDITIONAL CONTEXT

This recommendation implies that templates should be viewed as types in their own right, or sub-types if you wish. The default template is the type, while the other, user-created, templates are the subtypes.

2 Likes