Using Syncthing instead of IPFS

Is using IPFS for syncing between two devices (let’s say mobile and desktop) a must ? What I mean by this, is that, can anytype allow for “advanced users” to sync their data between two ends of their devices by the method they themselves choose?

Personally, I do not know much about IPFS. I don’t have a grasp of it. I don’t know what happens to my data when it is floating around bunch of other nodes in the form of distributed hash pieces.

Instead, I like using Syncthing, which is a digital data syncing solution that works over the internet, in an end-to-end encrypted fashion. There are no “nodes” in Syncthing, only my two devices: mobile and desktop.

Can anytype allow the userdata directory to be synced this way? I am on Debian, and I think I can locate the relevant directory where my anytype notes are stored; but the question is, can the android app, once I sync my userdata from desktop to my android device, locate this synced userdata, and import it again?

Moreover, can I, syncing this way, disable the built-in IPFS syncing mechanism of anytype, and only rely on my Syncthing method?

I tried syncing the data folder of anytype using syncthing but I instantly got file conflicts as both my PCs have anytype running in the background which leads to a continuous writing/reading process.

1 Like

Regarding the file conflicts: what if I don’t run android and desktop anytype apps at the same time. I mean, I can edit one note on my desktop, while the anytype app on my android is asleep—and vice versa. Would that do away with the conflicts?

Also, can you give me some details about your syncthing setup with anytype? How did you put them together? Were you able to disable the anytype’s default data-sync to the IPFS network?

I’m not sure if the data directory structure is same on both Windows and Android.
As for the syncthing setup, I just add the folder found here and share it with the other PC

You can disable any software from accessing the internet through Windows firewall

And lastly, you can host your local backup node: Document

1 Like

Understood. I will do some tests with android app to see if I can get it to work with the data directory that I specify from the Syncthing android app.

Btw, I remember setting anytype as “local-only” was a feature to be released Q3 this year. Has this happened? Can I use anytype totally offline (without having to force my firewall on it).

It will be available… not on top tier priority list as far as a read it… but coming…

1 Like

Anytype uses IPFS only for files, and for everything else, it uses Anysync. It’s not possible to use services like Syncthing to sync between devices yet. For more info, check this page.

I mean, one of anytype’s core tenets seems to be “local first.”

Then, I should be able to use my desktop and android anytype clients as “local-only”, meaning, no syncing to anywhere on the net.

And then, I should be able to devise a way to out-of-band syncing, for example, a custom syncthing share folder between these two devices.

Anytype is local, and you can (or will be able to very soon) use it completely locally.

This, on the other hand, is a completely separate thing. Anytype doesn’t use markdown files or anything similar to that, so you can’t just sync a folder between devices. If you want to sync your files, you will need to use the Anysync protocol one way or the other. Currently, if you are not satisfied with Anytype’s backup node, you can self-host your own, and in the future there will be support for third-party sync providers.