Using sets as a 'table of contents'

Hi everyone,

I’m having a bit of trouble with sets (or maybe I’m misunderstanding them). I’m a medical trainee and hoping to make a set where every page tagged “pharmacology” for example shows up in one place. I can’t see how to make a set include just pages with certain tags - is there a better way to do this or am I missing something?

Thanks!!

Hi @zainab! Thanks for posting! There are two things you are referring to, and I’ll try to explain both :slight_smile:

Sets are (filtered) views into the big bucket of all Objects that you created. Currently, a Set is limited to only show Objects that have the same Object Type. You could see that as a first (mandatory) filter. It is up to you what kind of filters you want to add to that. You can filter on any Relation that is linked/tied to your Objects. One of the built-in Relations is the Tag Relation. It seems you have already found that one :). You first ensure the Tag Relation is indeed available for your Object Type. Then you add the Tag relation to your Set filters. Be aware you need to create the Tags you want to filter on before you can select them in the filter options.
So, to make this practical:

1. Choose the Object Type you want to use for your content (for example, Object Type “Page”)
  2. Open the Object Type (“Page”) and check whether the Relation “Tag” is linked to that Object Type. Add it if it isn’t. I’m quite sure it already is for the majority if not all built-in Object Types.
  3. Create Objects of the Type chose (in this example, Pages) and add Tags.
  4. Create a Set and configure it to use the Object Type you chose (in this example, Page)
  5. Add a filter for the Relation “Tag”. For example, "Tag is any of [select your relevant tags here]
  6. Optionally, configure how you want the Objects in the Set to be sorted. I usually sort on Creation date to have the newest items on top.

I’m on my phone right now so I can’t create screenshots of every step. Let me know if you get stuck on any of the steps.

Table or Contents (TOC) is a Block that you can add to the contents of your Object: the Canvas (sometimes reffered to as Page). This Block takes all the Headings and Subheadings that you’ve added to your Canvas and puts them in a nice list.

You could use a Set as some kind of TOC, but I would personally not use the term TOC to describe what Set are designed for.

2 Likes

Thank you! This is very helpful.

1 Like