User shared Spaces

Hello Anytype community!

I discovered Anytype last week and have been enamored with it ever since. I have tried coming up the learning curve and setting up my spaces but not doing a great job so far. I am not sure why I am unable to grasp the concepts better.

I want to create a PARA style space like @thePauker

I was wondering if there is somewhere that users share a basic beginning framework of their spaces?

Any help is appreciated.

1 Like

I found this on reddit and helped me get my head around the structure

If I remember my experience of starting with Anytype correctly, you should find those tips useful:

• The primary word which Notion uses for a file is a ‘Page’ but for Anytype, it’s an ‘Object’.
  • Think of entire Anytype workspace as one single Notion database.
  • In this big notion database (Anytype), Properties are called Relations. And each file (Notion’s ‘page’) is an Object.
  • Now, to create a separation between different types of Objects (notion’s pages), we use tags but call them ‘Type’.
    • For example, you can create an Object “Emma” and to separate this object from all others, you tag it by specifying the ‘Type’ of object as “Human”.
    • You can create an Object titled “Stamppot” and tag it with Type ‘Recipe’.
    • And because it’s like one single Notion database, this same Type ‘Human’ and ‘Recipe’, you can tag to the new object “Charlotte” or “Kroket” which you may create tomorrow.
  • Sets are a way to bring together Objects of a particular Type. In Notion Database terminology, Sets are a way to bring together Pages (Objects) of a particular tag (Type). So you can create a Set of Humans, or Movies or Recipes.
  • Collections are a way to bring together any kind of Objects. You can have a collection “Things I like” and include Kroket (Type: Recipe), Noah (Type: Human), The Kite Runner (Type: Book) into it.
  • Most amazingly, your big Notion’s database (Anytype’s workspace) can be viewed as a Graph. A Graph basically shows all your Objects (Notion’s pages) at one place along with how they’re “linked” to each other. One object can be linked to other by using the ‘link to’ option or by manually going inside the Object (Notion’s page) and using “/” command or with “@”.
1 Like

Where are the issues? Maybe u can find in there original post a bit more information, since people asked me questions and I explained there a bit of the mechanics:)

1 Like

Thank you @tony1 and @thePauker for the responses. I got a little bit further and have actually made progress. I now have some idea of how to set up some of the “Resources”. I set them up as Sets of Objects of the same kind, and if I need to distinguish between objects I can use tags to filter the list for the set. Does that make sense, or am I going in the wrong direction?

Also, is there a way to create a “subfolder structure” kind of concept within the sets? For example, I will have a “resource” set called “notes” which will contain all notes. Is there a way to arrange them systematically for searching later? (perhaps by month, as I may know what month that thought/note was from?). Or am I thinking of this the wrong way - there no concept of folder structure, but if one needed to find notes from a particular time period one could use a relation like “created date” to filter things.

Thanks again! It all looks promising as a solution.

You don’t have to use tags. You can think of relations as kind of like tags. I only use a couple of tags but use all of the relations from status for things like tasks and the number relation to rank things. You can do a kanban on status like todo doing done kind of thing and then use a relation as a thread to connect from goals to projects. Sets are a little like a database and collections are collections of anything including sets. I dont use collections much. I suspect you will use sets quite a bit. The nomenclature is not really intuitive, but, once it clicks it will be easy to use. I don’t spend all day trying to create structure for my pkm, I just work and change things on the fly as needed.

I see. Thank you for the suggestion on using relations for this. which relations would you use to separate notes into sets like “personal notes” and “work notes”, “hobby notes”?

Also, can you elaborate on “then use a relation as a thread to connect from goals to projects”? Perhaps with an example?

Thanks for the help, I am learning a lot and am already on my way.

Charlotte also made a PARA guide for our docs. You can find the video here.

@thePauker I’d say you’ve got your work cut out for you here: Time to Step into Experience! 👥

Haha :slight_smile: - good that I already cleaned up a space to share :slight_smile:

1 Like

first one out… a few more are coming :slight_smile:

2 Likes