User defined storage backend

Is your feature request related to a problem? Please describe.

I’m not sure where Anytype backs up the data; maybe in a cloud environment or even locally. The storage backend seems to be hidden to the end user and it makes it difficult to trust Anytype completely considering data security and privacy concerns.

I had used Notion for quite some time but had to abandon it due to the following reasons,

• Lack of an enterprise storage option where companies can host data on their own servers for their employees.
    • Intellectual Property (IP) leak is a major concern for companies and they disallow people from using cloud services.

Describe the solution you’d like

Let the user get to choose a storage backend. It could be something as simple as file system based backend, or as complex as custom storage server (though that kinda goes against P2P). Irrespective of the type, the control over that storage backend would be completley with the user.

A few suggestions I had w.r.t. some of these backends,

1. Local filesystem backend: This need not support syncing capabilties and can work completely offline.
    1. Git based backend: User can provide a private/public Git repository which can be used for data storage across multiple devices.
    1. Custom data server: Anytype can define an open-source standard for setting up relay/storage servers which Anytype clients (desktop, mobile) can talk to. Based on these standards, user can build their own storage servers or host an existing open source storage server.
    1. Anytype hosting: This would be the default for not-so-power users who won’t mind data being stored/relayed via Anytype servers (though properly encrypted).

For me, I would definitely prefer option 2 for my work related notes and journals so that I can host them on my company’s internal Git repositories.

6 Likes

Anytype uses [IPFS](https://ipfs.io/) and the local filesystem for storage, which basically covers all the requests you have there.

They already said that before 1.0 a self-hosting IPFS anytype node will be also developed so anyone can selfhost their own backup nodes if they want. They will also provide anytype-managed IPFS nodes to backup for a fair price.

Since anytype is supposedly gonna be open source, maybe you can develop your own storage backends if needed, but I don’t think it’s worth it given that the IPFS implementation is probably everything you can ever need.

2 Likes

@lucasmmarino thanks for the replying.

How does Anytype use IPFS though? How does the Anytype app on my laptop discover the Anytype app on my phone and perform sync? Does it do over internet or uses the local intranet to discover other devices in my network? Can I use Anytype without any internet access and just within my LAN?

Some related discussion and info here:

https://community.anytype.io/knowledgebase/248-syncing-p2p

And here:

https://community.anytype.io/t/-/1047

1 Like

Thanks for sharing the links. It seems atleast in alpha, we cannot expect Anytype to be offline only.

2 Likes

Option 3 would be great, being able to use our own backup node.

The lack of “self-hosting” is definitively one of the reasons security concerned companies or even government employees will not adopt AnyType.

Ideally there should be a solution for the data to never leave secure premises (Maybe relevant, not entirely sure as I’m still skimming through how IPFS works, or at least how one “centralizes” it for security: (ipfs.io)Private gateways & Authenticated gateways).

Also relevant: Sync control

@Angelo Could you please give your input on this?