Unexpected behaviour using arrows to move cursor across blocks

Using arrows to move the cursor within a Block works as expected. If the cursor is over the word “banana” (image below) and I press ↓, the cursor goes to the word “apple”.

I’d expect that if I press ↓ again, the cursor would go to “porsche” (in the next Block). But it goes to the end of the first block instead.

I understand it’s useful to have shortcuts to go to the end/start of the current block, but I think the up/down arrow should have this simpler behaviour.

I also think pressing → at the end of a Block should move the cursor to the beginning of the next Block. Conversely, pressing ← at the start of a Block should move the cursor to the end of the previous Block. Currently neither does anything.

8 Likes

Always wondered if I was the only one finding it weird :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Yes please. The current behaviour is not very intuitive.

Any update on this? The current behavior is quite unnatural.

Although the behavior of arrows is slightly different from other apps, as you all previously stated, I kind of like the “block-based” approach and have gotten used to it.

To me, it makes sense that when moving across different blocks, you first end up at the end of the first one and then jump to the start of the second one. It might feel unnatural to you, which makes sense since Anytype sometimes is taking unique approaches.

Also, keep in mind the “tree-like” technical structure underneath! Cursor movement is probably easier in the current implementation.

1 Like

The problem is that every other app I use on a daily basis works like a traditional text editor. e.g. Word, Outlook, VS Code (or any code editor), any web browser, just about anything that has a text entry field. Hence it is really hard/jarring to switch into Anytype and have the cursor not behave like the majority of apps out there.
I’m not saying Anytype is wrong, I’m just saying it’s different, and therefore hard to use. And hence it would be nice/easier if Anytype worked like most other apps.