To not require the "All Files/READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" permission on supported Android versions when importing file

Is your feature request related to a problem? Please describe.
This is not a significant problem, but, I have been slightly uneasy about giving Anytype the “All Files” or “READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE” permission on my Android device, and it also appears as if the permission could cause some problems with Play Store publishing.

Describe the solution you’d like
For supported devices, it already appears as if Anytype uses the system file picker when uploading a file or image. Theoretically, by my very rusty and limited understanding of Android, it should then be possible to solely use the system file picker and SAF URIs to upload files, while not requiring the All Files permission?

It also appears as if all downloads are handled by the system Download Manager, and that also doesn’t appear to require the All Files permission.

Describe alternatives you’ve considered
Granting the permission always works, but, removing the permission might want to be considered for Play Store publishing.

2 Likes

It appears as if this issue has been solved with Android 0.6.0! Anytype no longer requests the read files permission in order to attach multimedia.

2 Likes