The word "bin" for trash is weird

I’ve been using PKMs for ~20+ years, and never seen “bin” used standalone for “Trash”.

First impression:

Later in the UI, I right clicked an object and saw “Move to bin”. That made do a double take, when my intention was to “Delete” / “Remove” / " Move to trash" at best.

Background: Romanian native speaker, later lived in California for 15 years.

4 Likes

Maybe it’s UK English? I’m Italian with English as a second language, and ‘bin’ is the word I’d use for a trashcan usually, and I’ve been taught UK English.

6 Likes

It shouldn’t be too unfamiliar of a term for Windows users but I agree that, “(rubbish) bin” is very much UK English. Virtually no one in the US would say it, and to hear someone call a trash can, a bin, would throw them off at least. We do say “recycle bin” though… :sweat_smile:

I don’t see this as major issue, as any confusion felt by American English speakers would be resolved as soon as they investigated it, but I also agree that “trash”, is a way more universally recognized term for this function.

1 Like

If Anytype wants to target global users, I’d argue that UK English has a much smaller userbase than international (~US) English. Even if we count all users with an Indian background, who may have learned UK English in school.

1 Like

Maybe adding UK English as one of the localization options would solve this.

I understand bin, but I agree it’s not a great experience for those who are not familiar with UK English.

5 Likes

Was this feature previously called “Archive”? Why was it changed?

For reference, I toggled between preferred language settings on Mac OS;

when set to UK English it’s called “Bin”
Screenshot 2022-08-27 at 14.07.23
when set to US English it’s called “Trash”
Screen Shot 2022-08-27 at 14.05.11
Probably one of few differences between the two settings.

@qualquertipo has the right idea here as it’s the standard approach of other OS’s.

3 Likes

In the past it was indeed called Archive. I assume it was changed because of its intended use: as a place to keep objects you no longer need, but don’t want to permanently delete yet. Archive suggests that its contents are there to stay which is a bit strange if most of you Anytype content will be kind of an archive and not actively used content.

1 Like

New Anytype user here — from the U.S., but a frequent traveller to the U.K. and I watch lots of British television.

Bin to me means any kind of receptacle. I wouldn’t normally say rubbish bin, but I would immediately recognize it as a synonym for trash basket or garbage can, which I do use.

I’d be equally happy with trash, trash basket, garbage, garbage can, rubbish bin, or recycling — but bin on its own is about as descriptive to me as the word box or folder would be, and I find it rather unsettling.

2 Likes

Speaking as a lifelong Brit, I can assure you that “bin” is the normal equivalent of “trash” over here. “Bin it”, “Throw it in the bin” etc are normal parts of conversation.

Sorry it seems weird, and I don’t argue in its favour in Anytype (or MacOS, for that matter).

1 Like

it doesn’t ‘rubbush’ me the wrong way… Trash is so cubicle sounding. The bin sounds like it wants a cup of tea :joy:

4 Likes

C’mon America
You won your independence, let us have our ‘bin’ :joy:

2 Likes

I like Bin. It’s minimal.
– Coming from an Asian who uses American English in settings :grin:

4 Likes

I’m US born and raised and bin is indeed apart of our vocabulary.
Perhaps primarily amongst the older population, 60s and older?

Not apart of popular English, but I knew what it was. I grew up hearing it used as a noun and a verb.

1 Like

/bin

User Binaries in *nix.

Regardless of your language background the established standard of /bin already existing in computing, and being used for something entirely different, should alone be reason to change this.

1 Like

I couldn’t disagree more. The word “bin” has been established for literally centuries as the name of a receptacle, including for rubbish. The token /bin has nothing to do with it.

I personally don’t mind what it’s called, but to decide on the basis of Unix terminology is preposterous

And Apple uses the term “bin” in many countries.

3 Likes