Templates for Android

Is your feature request related to a problem? Please describe.

Having templates on Android would be great, and equally helpful. I know it’s coming as I’ve read it in the FAQ but I’m writing this request so it would be considered a priority.

14 Likes

I am also really interested in this, great use case is for Journalling.

It’s probably the only reason I’m not using the Android version often.

2 Likes

Yes; this is a feature that is 100% required (and is coming soon). Just as a workaround, I would suggest making new objects with the template on desktop, and then have them sync over to the mobile app to fill out. Not an ideal solution, but it’s helped me deal with the lack of templates on Android.

2 Likes

Has this been implemented? Whenever I try to create a new note from a template on android it just creates a blank one. Is this a bug or a pending feature?

This is not yet implemented

Templates through slash command would be easy and fast

This is still under development, ETA within this month.

7 Likes

Describe the bug
When I create a new document on my phone and I assign it a type, the document remains blank and doesn’t show the template that’s supposed to come with the type. This happens with most of the types if not all.

To Reproduce
Steps to reproduce the behaviour:

1. Click on the + sign on the homepage on Android
  2. Select any type at the bottom of the screen (e.g. Daily Reflection)
  3. The template doesn’t show up. Only a blank page

Expected behaviour
When I create a new document and assign a type to it, the template should show.

System Information:

• Device Manufacturer/Model: Xiaomi Redmi 9A
  • Anytype Version: 0.6.1

Additional Context

That’s because Templates aren’t supported on the Android client yet unfortunately… but, it is coming soon!

From the Telegram channel by Evengii:

Templates are under development on Android. We’re currently rethinking the whole thing for mobile. Stay tuned!

Do you want to merge this into an existing post about Templates on Android or close it?

1 Like

With the release of Anytype for Android 0.7.0-alpha (available on Play store, APK to be made available on Monday, release notes available on Telegram and will be posted here on the Discourse forum on Monday) templates are now supported when creating a new Object on Android!

After creating a new Object you’ll see a notification at the bottom of the screen that there are multiple templates for the Object Type:

After clicking “show” you can swipe left and right to preview and select the template you want to use:

Edit: please note that using templates on Android is limited to the moment you create a new Object. Once you dismiss the option to apply a template there is no way to apply a template later on. This is also a limitation on the other platforms. See also here: Platform feature parity (overview) - Feature Requests - Anytype Community.

@Jed in your original post you mention:

Do you mean you’d like to be able to use (apply) templates or do you (also) want to make (create) new templates on Android? If you are asking for the first point only, we can consider this topic to be solved. If also the second point is important, I’ll hold off and update the title to reflect this.

1 Like