Template for the default object when created from anywhere

Is your feature request related to a problem? Please describe.
An empty instance of the object is created

Describe the solution you’d like
Description
Currently, objects are created using Templates from Sets or when adding an object via “/”. At the same time, if an object is created from “Relations” - Template is not used and we get an empty created instance of the object, which we have to configure.

How to reproduce
Add a Relation to any location, create an object using the Relation drop-down menu.

Expectation
An object is created using Template.

It’s working now
An empty instance of the object is created.

15 Likes

Describe the bug
The title says it all. Default templates are applied when creating an object on the main screen. But if you create a new object by identifying it as a relation to another object, an empty template is applied instead of the default template for that type.

As an example, let’s say I have two types: Person and Company. I have defined a detailed template for a Company. Then I create a new Person (John Smith) who works at Instagram. I create John as a Person object then want to add his Company as a relation. The object Instagram does not yet exist. If I create Instagram within the John Smith Person object, the default template is not applied to Instagram. Only a blank template is used.

To Reproduce
Steps to reproduce the behavior:

1. Create two new types, Type A and Type B.
  2. Create a new template Template B for Type B.
  3. Create an object Object A from Type A.
  4. Within Object A, define a relation with an object of Type B. Create a new object Object B that is Type B.
  5. Template B for Object B is not applied.

See video here: https://community.anytype.io/uploads/default/original/2X/0/0968f1fc845b371fe5691563c3c0a8fc82292d75.mp4

Expected behavior
When a new object is created as a relation to another object, I expect the default template to be applied.

System Information:

• Device Manufacturer/Model: Microsoft Surfacebook
  • Anytype Version: 0.23.5
7 Likes

I reproduce your steps but I have no issue on my side.

Can you join a video capture of all your process?

1 Like

@AyneHancer Here you go - hopefully this explains it clearly! Sorry the recording got cut off at the beginning. I was saying “I created two new types. One is a Fake Company, and one is a Fake Person.”

Thanks for your help.

2 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to make a video, it was helpful.

The forum has a bug because your video should have been able to be uploaded on the forum rather than on Wetransfert (I will make a request about this), so I made a short clip to show the core of the problem and what not to confuse it with.

Don’t hesitate to add this clip in the body of your request, so that the devs understand quickly what it is about.

1 Like

Thanks @AyneHancer this is perfect!

1 Like

I had this problem too, iirc. I’ve been meaning to post a bug report for it, but I guess I forgot, lol. Glad someone else caught it!

There is already a feature request for the same

Kindly upvote it

Other similar template related feature requests / bug reports

3 Likes

Is your feature request related to a problem? Please describe.
I want to create a new object for a relation, for example, for a new object ‘livre’, I want to create a new object of type ‘compagny’. It create the object but not using a template.

Describe the solution you’d like
It will be nice if we can choose a template whe ncreating the object this way or to apply a template after…

Additional context
Screenshot from 2022-04-29 18-56-02

1 Like