Support Android share intent to receive text/markdown from another app + parse markdown

WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND

• Ability to select AnyType when sharing text on another android app
  • if the text is markdown, parse it into the corresponding anytype objects

HOW COULD IT BE DONE

• Add an intent-filter for action “SEND” and data mimetype “text/plain”
  • try to parse/import it as markdown, and fallback to plain text without removing the newlines.

REAL WORLD USE CASES

I created an android application, Markdownr (currently available only on F-Droid), that accepts an URL from a share intent (or pasting it into the input field) and turn the contents of that page to markdown, then sends it via a share intent to any compatible app.
I use it to save interesting articles/pages to a note taking app linked to my dendron git (synced to my pc).
I would like to move my workflow to AnyType, but if I try this:

• Anytype doesn’t show up in the share intent for text content
  • If I copy the markdown text and paste it in AnyType, the markdown is not detected/parsed, and newlines are stripped, resulting in a pretty useless note.
2 Likes

Internal webclipper is in the development already iirc.

Thanks @Filip for the quick response, and sorry if I ghosted you :sweat_smile:

From the roadmap it seems to me that the web clipper planned for Q4 (it was Q2 when I first posted) is desktop only.

Also, I think the “web clipper” solves half of the problem: what if I want to share text or markdown from another app, and not a web page?

Sharing will also be part of it, and it’s already been implemented on the iOS.

1 Like

Duplicate: Share menu on mobile apps

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.