Strange behavior of the Move To button in Favourites

Describe the bug
The “Move To” button in the Favorites removes an object from favorites and adds a link to that object into the desired object

To Reproduce

1. Add an Object to favorites
  2. Open the Object menu
  3. Choose “Move to” and choose another Object
  4. Notice that the Object was deleted from favorites and a link to this object was created in another Object.

Expected behavior
Regarding the folder-less approach in Anytype, it’s challenging to outline what this menu item should do. I really cannot think of anything that would be intuitive.

System Information:

• Device Manufacturer/Model: Apple MacBook Pro 2017 13" with touch bar
  • Anytype Version: 0.25.0

Additional context
When I first found this feature, I was curious what it was going to do with the object. After seeing the result, I thought that it’s not something I would expect from this button, but then I couldn’t think of anything that I would expect.

1 Like

Yeah that’s how the “Move To” button works. I’m not sure what you were trying to move but I think it works just fine considering the fact that people use the “Move to” button to move stuff they just imported from Notion to where they want it to be.

If and when you come up with a better alternative to how the button should function, maybe you could make a feature request for that instead

Would it maybe help if the Object is not removed from the Favorites? For me, that is the only part of the steps you describe that do not make sense. The “Favorite” status should be separate from and unrelated to where a link to that Object is present. I would suggest to create a Feature Request like @excel suggests to request that at least the Favorite status is not altered when using the “Move to” button. Secondly, you could suggest renaming the button to better reflect what will happen if you press it. If all the button does is to add a link to the Object in another Object, something along the lines of “Add backlink to” would make more sense to me (or just “Backlink” to keep it short).

1 Like

I think my confusion was caused by the fact that there is no such thing as a “location” in Anytype, where an object can be “moved to”. So yeah, renaming that option to “add back link” and not removing an object from favorites looks like a more logical approach.

2 Likes