Smooth Caret

WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND

The ability to set a smooth caret animation from the settings, like Microsoft Word.

HOW COULD IT BE DONE

On the web, it’s done through a couple lines of CSS, and there are working examples in VSCode as well, I believe.

REAL WORLD USE CASES

It is simply very pleasing to look at with a cult following on the internet, and isn’t hard to implement, so why not?

ADDITIONAL CONTEXT

I’m pasting how the caret looks here. Smooth cursor animation for text processors - YouTube. Something similar to this, not exactly the same however. I’m sure the design team would know better.

6 Likes

If it was also breathing smoothly, Anytype would be my go-to note-taking application 100%(I’m using it as my main right now, but not sure if I want to settle yet). I just love it.

Like :fire:

I think Word Online has this and I never got used to it. I think to me it makes it feel like there’s a lag. I prefer things happening immediately.

Would be interested to know what is the general consensus on this. Are most people for or against it?

(I’m asking this just out of curiosity. I think having it optional in AT wouldn’t hurt)

2 Likes

I deeply dislike this, for whatever that’s worth. :joy: It feels laggy, as you say. Kind of like I’m watching some marketing mockup video of someone writing text, not someone actually doing it. Hard to imagine typing quickly and having this be how it displays.

3 Likes

I too would be very happy if this is optional and can be turned off :wink:

3 Likes

Dislike it too, looks very laggy and ugly from my point =)

3 Likes

I think that two options (instant and slow) to choose from will be the optimal solution.

3 Likes