Sidebar: Widget List Sorting

The new sidebar is great but I would love to see the following feature:

Under Appearance I would love to see a sorting option for the list of widgets.

Sort options could be:

1. Alphabetical, A-Z / Z-A
  2. Time/Date Modified, Newest first / Oldest first
  3. Time/Date Created, Newest first / Oldest first
  4. Custom, allowing custom sorting for the objects in the widget

Side effect is that this may make the Recent Widget a bit obsolete.

Optional: Group Sorting
This would add groups (headings/dividers) based on the sorting. For exampe I have the following favorites:

-Projects
-Areas
-Resources
-Archive

P.A.R.A. for those familiar with that organisation system and above would be a custom sorting. Grouping them while sorted A-Z makes it look like this:

A
-Archive
-Areas
P
-Projects
R
-Resources

While (custom) sorting could be done by making an object with all the links it would be a great feature to have for all widgets that have lists views.

Voted for this. Custom sorting is my most wanted feature, but the other sorting versions would also be very helpful!

1 Like

Currently, widgets just follow the sort from the views. So if you want a custom sort, you can always try to use a collection instead of a set if possible.
Also, just implementing custom sort for sets as well would solve this issue, at least temporary.

Except collections are not automatic and new objects are not added automatically. It’s some kind of work-around at the moment but it’s very hacky and does not replace the need for this feature :slight_smile:

Thanks for the tip though! :+1:

Sets, on the other side, are automatic and you can use those for widgets too.

1 Like

Oh yeah, I misunderstood. I thought you were saying that implementing in the future a custom sort for sets would fix this.

You are right I did not think of creating a set, then sorting it. My bad, and thank you again! :+1:

1 Like