Sidebar scrollbar only showing, when no scrollbar in object

Describe the bug
The sidebar has a scroll bar on pages, where there isn’t enough content, that the content itself is scrollable.
The sidebar has not scroll bar, when there is enough content, that the content itself is scrollable.

Less Content → Scroll bar in Sidebar

More Content → Scroll bar in Window and no scroll bar in Sidebar

The difference is only the height of the scroll bar.
You still can scroll in the sidebar with the mouse wheel.
But it does not feel like a good design
It makes no difference if the sidebar is pinned or is only showed when hovering.

Expected behaviour
Good question. Two scrollbars would look odd. But at least it would exactly show what its for.
But not the preferred way here.

System Information:

• Anytype Version: 0.24.0
1 Like

Here is the solution I would adopt in terms of UI/UX.

Each scroll bar would indicate the length that is assigned to it:

• The darker one represents the Object Type (the biggest height in my example)
  • The lighter one represents the Sidebar (the shortest height in my example)

They don’t move at the same speed. If you scroll to the bottom of the sidebar, at the time the lighter one hits the bottom of the window, the darker one hasn’t stopped yet.

Are those two bars on top of each other? How would I use them?

Yes, that’s right.

The fact that you didn’t understand proves that training in motion design is becoming more and more necessary for me :sweat_smile:

Each scroll bar would indicate the length that is assigned to it:

• The darker one represents the Object Type (the biggest height in my example)
  • The lighter one represents the Sidebar (the shortest height in my example)

They don’t move at the same speed. If you scroll to the bottom of the sidebar, at the time the lighter one hits the bottom of the window, the darker one hasn’t stopped yet.

Is it clearer?

I think I get how you mean it could work. But can’t really image how it would feel using it.
Is there another application where something like this is already implemented? Would like to try it out.

1 Like

I understand how it would be used, but I don’t think that’s intuitive enough for most people, and I have doubts about the accessibility of this solution for people with, for example, low vision, or similar problems.

1 Like

Not that I can think of.

So am I :smile:

Without testing we will never know. An A/B test could be useful in this case. I also like to recall the wise words of Frank Zappa:

“Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.”

I was hesitant to show the result with colors, but I should have done it. Overall I think accessibility options should be accessible but not to the point of becoming a visual or functional standard.

It also doesn’t sound intuitive for me. But you never know.
If there is a time for testing new things, its now in the alpha stage. :sweat_smile:

1 Like