Shared Recents section in Dashboard across platforms

Description

A block opened in mobile doesn’t appear as recent block in desktop app

Steps to reproduce

1. Open a block on phone
    1. Check the recent section in pc

Expected behavior

The block opened in phone should be on top of the recent list but it isn’t there.

Desktop

Windows : 20H2

Android: 11

Anytype: 0.18.28

Anytype mobile: 0.1.14

Small thing, but I think you mean “Page” (object type) not “Block”, right?

@Oshyan Oh yeah

1 Like

@Tanzeel098 Yeah, this feature works on device. It means recents on Android will differ from Desktop. We will add cross-device feature later this year!

1 Like

@Vova Okay cool understood !

@Vova I’m honestly not sure that “recent” should be the same between desktop and mobile. Hard to say. I can see needing different pages on mobile vs. desktop. Maybe sync of that can be optional? I hate to request adding more options though unless really necessary… :thinking:

1 Like

@Oshyan It should really be optional, a toggle in the options maybe ?

For example my use case : I mostly use anytype as a knowledge base as a doc, when I’m on rounds or on the ER on my phone I use certain pages as quick references but when I’m at home it’s usually the subject I’m currently reviewing that I open, definetly not the same pages in each case.

1 Like

@Inkqb Yeah, exactly. Of course there is “favorites” too, which can address some of that need. Although now I think of it, that will probably be synced between devices. Hmm. And there again I find myself thinking I might want different ones on desktop vs. mobile. So in a way it opens up a whole consideration of how the sync should really work… I think of it is as the difference between:

• Data - the actual pages and content
  • Settings - configuration, user preferences
  • Activity - local tracking of user activity, including recent pages, but also page edit history

So it’s interesting, because I think it’s pretty clear most would want sync of all data, even if it is selective for “large” data/files (to some degree I consider the size-based sync option a separate issue). I could see some settings being synced between platforms, but honestly there are inevitably settings that will have to be platform-specific.

Maybe there is a distinction to be made between platform-specific settings. e.g. shortcuts, favorites, auto-lock timeout (I’d want mobile to auto-lock vs. not on desktop because it’s more secure, in my house), and “global” settings (not sure of examples off-hand, but I feel like there probably are).

As for Activity, I like the model of current browser sync: shared “history” but separate “recent”. If Anytype does not have the concept of “history” (not sure it should), then “recent” could/should be separate per-platform I think, or again an option. But then page edit history should be shared, of course!

So it’s interesting and complex. :grin: