Self-pointing placeholder filter in templates

WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND

A placeholder in TEMPLATES, self-pointing to the object-to-come, itself. That could be used to create INLINE-SETS, where the new object (still not existent) could be used (once created) as the FILTER for that inline-set.

REAL WORLD USE CASES

1. Tom Cruise has a MISSION!
  2. whenever possible, he needs to report his actions, whether they are some steps achived, or struggles, or issues raised, or contacts made, or any other thing worth a NOTE.
  3. a NOTE is then tied to a MISSION, through a RELATION called “mamaMission”
  4. a node is created, “M.I.2023”.
  5. this node is created with an automatic (template-origined) INLINE-SET called “STEPS REPORTED”, which is empty
  6. this INLINE SET has a button “New”, through which a new NOTE is created
  7. the new Note created through this template-origined-Inline-Set has the “mamaMission” relation, which is automatically linked to the node “M.I.2023”.

Thus, the “M.I.2023” (MISSION object) has a specialized button (in the INLINESET), magic enough to create NOTE-objects ALREADY LINKED to the MISSION, thus populating the INLINESET with the Notes FILTERED BY the criterium “mamaMission = M.I.2023”.

(this is clearly a feature from Notion’s TEMPLATES, interacting with DATABASES – dont know how FAR that might be from present-days scope of improvements… but still might be something that other people like me would be so happy to use in Anytype! ^_^)

What an epic story! A delight to read :slight_smile:
Don’t forget to make a new Object Type called “IMPOSSIBLE”

4 Likes

Pre-linked inline sets in ‘Project’ templates would be great! Though all objects created in an object SHOULD already be linked to the parent object IIRC?

This is my number one missing feature!
You could do one better than Notion by making the placeholders able to reference some global variable.

For example:
I have a Date type which I reference in every object with a ‘Date Added’ relation.
I created an inline set in the Date template that filters all objects with the relation ‘Date Added’ that has the particulate date.
If I could have a placeholder referencing a global variable I could change all of my object templates to auto-populate the ‘Date Added’ field with today’s date which I manually populate today.

[I realize that the creation date field exists, I prefer having a Date object (you can think of it as a daily log) linking all of the objects I created on a day as well as due tasks and events]

Thanks for the awesome app! I discovered it yesterday and I’m already marketing it to my friends!

4 Likes

This is exactly what I am missing. I hope we see something like this soon

Please remember to VOTE up for the Feature Request, if you would like it! :slight_smile:

We need this ASAP!

WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND

When setting filters for a Set there does not seem to be an option to filter on the Template used to create the Object.

HOW COULD IT BE DONE

Add a built-in Relation “Creation Template” and put the name of the template there (preferably as link so that reference is updated when the name of the Template is changed)

REAL WORLD USE CASES

I have a single Object Type that I want to split over different Kanban views, depending on the Template that was selected when I created the Object.

RECOMMENDED ALTERNATIVES

I could manually add a Relation to differentiate the Objects, but who likes to do stuff manually?!

12 Likes

I have the same request. Especially when I need to use inline sets, I am hoping to see an automatic filter like Notion.

Same, hope to see this feature.

WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND

In addition to all of the previously created objects, add a reference to the current object in the list of objects to choose from a object type relation.

REAL WORLD USE CASES

I would like for all of my project templates to include an inline set at the top which would query all objects that are linked to that specific project trough a relation. The problem is that I currently need to manually add that specific project every time and for every view.

RECOMMENDED ALTERNATIVES

Adding the filters manually.

ADDITIONAL CONTEXT

Similar:

4 Likes

Great suggestion! (BTW, I added a forum tag for Filters to the repertoire)

1 Like

I was thinking about creating a similar feature request before I found that this feature request already exists. Glad to see someone already did the work (of creating a feature request) for me. :smiley:

Here is my use case:
I wanted to create a database to collect new English Vocabulary, that I learned when reading English Books. (My first language is German.)
My current approach is to use two types: “Book” and “English Word”
I am currently reading 1984 by George Orwell. So I created my first object of type “Book” named 1984.
“English Word” has a relation “used in” of type “Book”.
While reading 1984 I collected some interesting English words. For each of those words I created an object of type “English Word” with the “used in” relation set to the book “1984”.
When reading more English books in the future I want to add words from those books as well. Of course for those words I will set the “used in” relation to those other books rather than to “1984”.

On 1984 I wanted to add an inline set showing only the vocabulary from that specific book.
This was actually possible: I have added an inline set of "English Word"s. On this inline set I have filtered with the “used in” relation. In this filter I selected the Object “1984”.
So far I did not need this feature request. But now comes the tricky part:
I wanted to create a template for books based on this “1984”-object. But now what object should I select in the filter inside the inline set? I do not want to set it to “1984”. Instead, each time that a new book-object is created based on this template, I want to set the filter to this newly created book-object. I could do this manually for each book-object, but that would be rather tedious.
Instead when this new feature request is implemented the filter inside the inline set inside of the book template should provide a special option “this”. So then instead of the book-object 1984 I can select “this” as the object by which we want to filter the set of "English Word"s.

2 Likes

Yep, here too. I would like to use a meeting minute template where i have an inline set for action items (tasks) but this doesn’t seem to work because I can only filter on existing "objects.

1 Like

Remember to VOTE for the feature request, right? :slight_smile:

1 Like

WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND

Define a specific feature that is missing or could be improved:
I recommend enabling the automatic inclusion of the “Linked Projects” relation in templates, allowing it to be pre-filled with the current object when using the template for object creation.

HOW COULD IT BE DONE

Detail the solution you would like to get what you need:
To implement this feature, the template creation function should be enhanced to provide the option of including the “Linked Projects” relation as part of the template. When selecting this option, the system should automatically populate the “Linked Projects” field with the current object that is being created from the template.

REAL WORLD USE CASES

Describe specifically how this feature would be used, and why it should be implemented:
This feature would greatly benefit users who frequently create objects using templates in the official project management system. By having the ability to include the “Linked Projects” relation in a template, users can easily establish project relationships without the need for manual input after object creation. This saves time and effort, streamlining the workflow and enhancing overall productivity.

For example, suppose a user often creates new tasks based on a “Project Task Template.” Having the “Linked Projects” relation pre-filled with the current project being created as the default value would allow the user to quickly associate the task with the appropriate project without additional manual steps. This automation eliminates repetitive actions and reduces the risk of errors in project linkage.

RECOMMENDED ALTERNATIVES

Please explain any workaround or feature you may have considered:
Currently, without this feature, users have to manually select and assign the “Linked Projects” relation after object creation, which can be a time-consuming and error-prone process. While it is possible to customize individual templates to include this relation, a system-wide option to automatically include and pre-fill the “Linked Projects” field in templates would provide a more streamlined and consistent experience for all users.

ADDITIONAL CONTEXT

If further context, people, or related Feature Requests should be mentioned, do so right here:
The “Linked Projects” relation is an essential aspect of project management in the official project management system. Having the ability to configure template settings to automatically populate this relation with the current object would enhance the usability and efficiency of the system, benefiting all users who frequently utilize templates for object creation.

Other

Could the dropdown menu of the widget be expanded? As the dropdown menu occupies a separate line and there is extra space available, it would be better to directly expand it instead of having it as a dropdown menu. Alternatively, it could automatically adjust its expansion based on the size of the content.

• Dropdown menu

• Expanded menu.

However, I believe that implementing this feature(Auto fill relation) through a plugin system would greatly benefit users. The official updates are rather slow, so I am urging for a plugin system to be introduced. Many requested functionalities from the community could be implemented by users (developers) through the plugin system, instead of relying on the slow pace of the official updates.

1 Like

What Do You Recommend?

In order to create a “host” object with a set or collection that only shows “child” objects related to that “host” object, create a self-referencing filter.

In many programming languages, this is referred to as the “SELF” or “THIS” pointer: “Let the collection’s filter be 'all objects related to ME', i.e. to the host object”.

When an host object gets generated from its Template, this “SELF” pointer would need to be translated to reference the new object rather than the original template. Generally, the “SELF” object should automatically refer to the “host” object itself.

How Could It Be Done?

In the filter definition of a Set or Collection, add another fixed option “This object”:

Filter > Relation > Links to this object > Has any of > This object

Obviously, it’s already possible to assign the Host object manually here. However, this is not possible with a Template, because the Template object will by definition be different from the Instance that later gets derived from the template.

So a generic “This object” instead of having to manually assign the Host object would enable Templates with Sets and Collections that hold all links to and from this object inside the object’s contents. The current way, such a template is impossible to create.

Real World Use-Cases

• a “project” template with automatically generated Backlinks of Task linked to this Project;
  • a “customer” template with an automated list of objects created with relation to this customer;
  • a “references” template with an automated query of all objects linked from this object, including collections, /links and @mentions, e.g. for an automated appendix of citations and references.

Recommended Alternatives

As said, above queries can already be created by manually assigning the “host” object to each of these “child” or “parent” queries.

Hovever, it is not possible to create a template with such functionality, because in the current version of filters, the automated link to “THIS” host object can’t be assigned.

Besides these practical examples, the generic “SELF” or “THIS” pointer is a fundamental element of most programming languages for a number of reasons, and its applications are numerous.

Additional Context

This is the FR suggested by @Filip in August '23 here, and that’s recently picked up by @raph, here. I couldn’t find a feature request for self-referencing objects but it may already exist.

You explain it a bit abstract.
Maybe it’s easier understandable for other users here (posting No. 7):

(You already know this thread and linked from there to here, I know.)

I think Filip merged six similar posts into this one.

Great. Thank you @Neuru for pointing us there.

@Filip world you mind merging this Self-pointing FR as well to this one? Thank you.

1 Like