Reset Anytype to "factory default"

Is your feature request related to a problem? Please describe.

Resetting the Anytype account. Anytype is quoted as an operating system. It’s fair to say it should have a reset option which would Delete everything and return Anytype to “factory” default.

Describe the solution you’d like

In the settings option, reset is present as an option. Clicking them should delete everything from the accounts and things related i.e setting, template, saved drafts and basically everything.

16 Likes

Yes or account removal which should enable one to create a new account which should be closer to resetting

@lynxlove it is getting a new account. So new password to remember. So much additional trouble will pop up. Reset option should on the must have list.

Agree with @Srinath here, ‘Factory reset’ is something else than deleting (still needed) and creating a new account. New users may try to fiddle around to warp their head around things and once everything is understood, reset and start ‘fresh’.

5 Likes

Most people want to reset because their workspace gets messed up. Ability to delete types/objects would sure save a lot of people from resetting. It’s just frustrating that you can’t delete them. If resetting can’t be made possible now, the delete option will do so good IMO.

3 Likes

@Jed Deletion will most probably be in october. So, the wait is not too long…

2 Likes

There are a couple things to be aware of here.

First, the way Anytype works now, in Alpha, is different than how it will probably work in the future of public release, open source, etc. In alpha there are certain limitations that exist to benefit the test process and gathering useful data to inform development, among other things.

Second, deletion is a feature that is being worked on. If you want to get a new account in the meantime, please use the steps here:

https://community.anytype.io/t/-/1704

1 Like

@Oshyan if I read it correctly it is currently possible to delete all our data if we need but not a particularly a object as it would break the link from graph.

If so reset account being available to users will also be a useful one.

Sometimes people, maybe most, want to test everything anytype had to offer and clutter formed through testing could be easily deleted through reset and continue to setup properly with the same passphrase.

No need to wait till support has reissue a new anytype id and save the new passphrase.

Since we are currently logged in for anytype access if you reset anytype along with an option to remove data from backup node it would put users more in control of their data. Along with that we could continue to use the passphrase till or if we could have the ability to change them.

I think it is a neat feature, must have, for an Operating system.

1 Like

This is my experience right now. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Srinath @lynxlove @natrius @Jed @Kade

I have found a workaround to reset Anytype. Please also consider the following answer of the topic.

I have placed this solution in front of my profile, if you lose it one day, you will only have to click on my name to access it quickly. I will remove it when the official method will be released or if it becomes obsolete.

Feel free to publish an even more detailed procedure on a dedicated topic :wink:

3 Likes

The whole purpose for this request is that reset is done with a single click. I appreciate that you showed a workaround.

But reset is better as a long term choice.

Obviously :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ

Potential Alternate workaround : when Workspace and deletion of workspaces gets introduced we could delete that(existing) workspace and create new one

Can we get this sooner?

1 Like