Thanks for having me in the Alpha group. I stumbled upon Anytype when searching for an alternative to Evernote. I have all my private documents on Evernote (certificates, bills, contracts, letters - anything!). I also have a lot of work related documents there as well as a little Wiki about various things.
Evernote is incredibly slow when opening/moving/copying notes, it’s also slow when opening PDFs and even though my data is said to be encrypted in transit and in rest and I do consider Evernote a trustworthy company I don’t like the fact that they have the key to decrypt my data (they could be hacked).
Having said that, here’s a few things I did not like about Anytype and that would keep me from switching to it (roughly in order of severity):
Import: well, Evernote import is coming soon, it says. As I have dozens of notebooks and thousands of notes there, an automated import feature would be mandatory for me.
VPN Communication: I am on VPN very often. However, while on VPN the app just does not work. I was not able to login as long as I was on VPN. This is a killer use case for me - sorry to tell.
- Good: Embedding PDFs in Documents is easy (just drag & drop)
- Good: Loading & scrolling within PDFs is fast (I’m used to slow performance e.g. in Evernote)
- Bad: Full Text Search - As already mentioned, I have digitalized all private documents, 99% as PDFs. I need to be able to find these documents by simply typing words from within the document. So indexing the contents of PDFs embedded in Anytype documents is crucial for me.
- Bad: Document layout seems to limit the width of the document to a narrow colum in the middle of the window. If maximized this is roughly 1/3 of the screen width. I want to be able to view the document (especially a PDF) in max width without leaving Anytype.
- Would be nice to have: Evernote has a feature to display PDFs in three different modes: Attachment/Single Page/All Pages. Attachment does not load/preview the document, just shows it as an attachment to the document. Single Page shows one page of the document, user can scroll page-wise (just like in Anytype). All Pages displays all pages of the PDF in a long, vertical sequence - that would be nice to have in Anytype, too.
Portability & Local storage: I would prefer being able to specify an arbitrary location for the Anytype binaries and my personal data so I can have it e.g. on a USB drive or an encrypted volume (e.g. Veracrypt)
Passphrase: I consider it a huge advantage of Anytype that my passphrase is only known to me and if I lose it, I lose access to the notes. I understand how this actually makes my notes more secure as no one, not even Anytype, has access to the notes (except me). However, I would rather specify that passphrase myself instead of having to remember a passphrase generated by Anytype as this would help me to pick a scheme that I’m able to remember.
Relations: I’d love to add my own (but that’s not really a problem, currently)
I’ll also look at the iOS app soon and will add a separate thread for this, if I have additional feedback.